Opening ports

Go into your router's setup and do it there. Also, do it in your software firewall.

Reply to
Plato
Loading thread data ...

possibly both.

need to know more about your router.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

I need to open specific ports in order for my VOIP softphone to work. But I can't see how.

I'm running Win XP Home with the Agnitum Outpost 1.0 firewall.

Can I do this in my firewall, or does it need to be done somehow in my ADSL router?

Reply to
Web Sniffer

It's called port forwarding on the router. And you'll need to set rules to allow the inbound traffic with the PFW solution too.

formatting link
You should keep the amchine out of the DMZ.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

as a query, i have a IPCop box with a red and green (no DMZ) and a switch behind it (on green) i have VoIP device from

formatting link
which is plugged into the switch and a normal phone plugs into it, and i didnt have to open any ports on my ipcop box for it to work. the reason, as i understand it, is that the IPcop box allows any incoming connections that were initiated from the inside (ie the engin device).

is this a standard thing for hardware firewalls? and is it a good thing? just wondering tis all

-joseph

Reply to
Joseph

That's true that a software FW, a router or FW appliance will allow inbound traffic from a remote IP if a machine behind them initiates the contact with the remote site,otherwise the packets are dropped.

With all FW solutions that I know about or have used, it may require that certian inbound ports used by an application or program be opened on the FW or the appliance so that it can communicate and those ports are not open by default due to a solitation to a remote IP and either rules have to set to allow the traffic or port forwading is used to open the required port(s). At least that's my understanding of it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.