Norton Personal Firewall blocks all internet traffic

Yesterday, I have installed Norton Personal Firewall 2005. Once it was installed, I tried to access the internet, but this resulted in a message like 'Server not found' or 'Page could not be loaded'. I do not remember exactly, but internet access was not allowed. (Apparently, the firewall was working...). I tried to get to the settings for the firewall (via the menu Options), but I got a message like 'You do not have enough privileges to [...]' (again I don't remember the phrasing). I messed around for a little while, and then I decided to uninstall the firewall, for the time being. I would like to give it another try, but before doing so, I would like to know what has gone wrong in my first attempt. I suppose that the default settings of the firewall should allow internet access to the home page of my ISP. And what is this talk about privileges?

I also messed around with the (toggle) button 'Allow traffic' and 'Block traffic'. Changing the setting did not have any effect.

Thanks in advance for any reaction.

Ewout

Reply to
Ewout
Loading thread data ...

Often a safe way into desater.

Messing around is definitely *not* the right to deal with computers.

Why? It is crap.

Your biggest mistake besides your obvious lack of clue was to install it. Hopefully the crap didn't f*ck up your system completely.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Once again, Wolfgang offer a helping hand.

Reply to
doubter

I've definitely seen more than enough systems to which that software has done much more harm than good and I really regard it as great help to recommend not using that crap. Among all personal firewalls which *all* suffer from severe dsesign problems Norton is by far the one to change the greatest number of (registry) settings and the one that installs the greatest number of files. Unfortunately masses of (addional) code never will help to improve security. Less code is the right way, not more.

It is just like Dr. Struan Sutherland told Dougles Adams and Mark Carwadine about how to deal with poisenous snakes ...

formatting link
Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Wolfgang, I am not doubting your analysis. This post was informative and might have been of value to the OP. The same can't be said for your first reply.

Reply to
doubter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.