Need to stop an attack

This may be off topic here, but it does relate to internet security and I thought some people here may be able to help. Anyway, I'll say sorry ahead of time if this is the wrong place to post this: sorry.

I have someone attacking my web server and I have alot of evidence including his ip address. I even have proof of him threatening me of more attacks. And these threats have come from multiple sources (screenshots, log files, msn messenger). I want to get this guy arrested for the attacks. So, where do I go to get charges brought against him? The FBI? Police? Somewhere else?

So, the simple question is, when someone is attacking your server and causing damage to your business, how do you turn him in if you have evidence? Who should I contact?

Reply to
Nitro
Loading thread data ...

The FBI site

formatting link
does not seem to cover your problem... unless your attack is coming from a foreign country

If your attacker is on an ISP with some sort of fair use policy, I would think that is your first step (ie snipped-for-privacy@aol.com )

My next step would be the Attorney General for my state

John Thomas Smith

formatting link

Reply to
John Thomas Smith

Why would you say that? Per the page you referenced "The FBI also works to prevent criminals, sexual predators, and others intent on malicious destruction from using the Internet and on-line services to steal from, defraud, and otherwise victimize citizens, businesses, and communities." There is a place to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

IIRC the type of attack that the original poster described is a federal crime which would mean the FBI has to take the lead in investigating and prosecuting it whether or not the origin was in or out of the US.

Reply to
James T. White

Organized extortionists attack gambling websites using a lot of aggressive resources, an army of zombies -- which would seem to be a crime of considerably greater magnitude than your problem, and those websites are left to defend for themselves^1, no help from law enforcement.

I don't think law enforcement or attorneys general do much about these things.

formatting link
Rings of steel combat net attacks
formatting link
How a Bookmaker and a Whiz Kid Took On an Extortionist - and Won
formatting link
Crisis Response Plan

It is a little bit like defending a computer or server facing the internet -- the first rule is defend yourself. The more powerful or determined the adversary, the stronger or more comprehensive your defenses must be. It is unlikely that someone else is going to defend you.

Reply to
Mike Easter

In article , James T. White wrote: :IIRC the type of attack that the original poster described is a federal crime :which would mean the FBI has to take the lead in investigating and prosecuting :it whether or not the origin was in or out of the US.

"federal crimes" only apply to "Federal Interest Systems" within the meaning of the US Computer Fraud and Abuse Statutes.

There is some room for argument over what constitutes a "Federal Interest System". Broadly speaking, the term includes important commercial infrastructure such as banks, includes systems used for medical diagnosis, and includes cases that cross state boundaries (which in turn includes foreign intrusions.)

The room for argument comes in when the attack is within the same state: in such an instance, the normal scoping rules would have state law apply instead of federal law -- but there is phrasing in the Statutes that could be interpreted as indicating that -any- US-based computer is "Federal Interest System" if it ever communicates intra-state (e.g., trans-border email or web surfing). Some people might perhaps argue that the clause doesn't apply to residential systems [it looks to apply to -me-, but IANAL.]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I like "Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye." -- Unknown

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

In addition to what others have said, I would think that to be taken seriously at all, by any law enforcement agency and/or DA, you would have to be able to offer proof of financial loss and substantiate the amount. Otherwise it is simply an annoyance. The monetary amount of loss (theft?) would determine the potential for success in the legal system. Without the monetary numbers, you have no case, IMHO.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

In article , Frankster wrote: :In addition to what others have said, I would think that to be taken :seriously at all, by any law enforcement agency and/or DA, you would have to :be able to offer proof of financial loss and substantiate the amount. :Otherwise it is simply an annoyance. The monetary amount of loss (theft?) :would determine the potential for success in the legal system. Without the :monetary numbers, you have no case, IMHO.

In the absence of threats of personal harm, you are correct, at least in the USA and Canada. Our federal police force have indicated to us that they won't even start an investigation into computer attacks unless the provable monetary damages are well into 5-figure dollar ranges -- and they exclude clean-up costs. I don't know if they exclude "loss of income" (e.g., when your web store cannot make sales.)

There may be exceptions, such as if there is attempted blackmail, or there is a risk to human safety (e.g., medical control computers or train signal controls). Also, in the USA, you *might* be able to provoke action by citing copyright infringement: the US Digital Millenium Copyright Act criminalizes nearly all copyright infringement and effectively presumes that nearly all copyright infringement is Big Bucks Theft.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.