Create an E-annoyance, go to jail

Just found this on another site...... When I saw this, I thought of you Mr. BAss.

Create an e-annoyance, go to jail By Declan McCullagh

formatting link
-1028_3-6022491.html

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime. It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else."

It's illegal to annoy A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Buried deep in the new law is Sec. 113, an innocuously titled bit called "Preventing Cyberstalking." It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."

To grease the rails for this idea, Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section's other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure.

The tactic worked. The bill cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote, and the Senate unanimously approved it Dec. 16.

There's an interesting side note. An earlier version that the House approved in September had radically different wording. It was reasonable by comparison, and criminalized only using an "interactive computer service" to cause someone "substantial emotional harm."

That kind of prohibition might make sense. But why should merely annoying someone be illegal?

There are perfectly legitimate reasons to set up a Web site or write something incendiary without telling everyone exactly who you are.

Think about it: A woman fired by a manager who demanded sexual favors wants to blog about it without divulging her full name. An aspiring pundit hopes to set up the next Suck.com. A frustrated citizen wants to send e-mail describing corruption in local government without worrying about reprisals.

In each of those three cases, someone's probably going to be annoyed. That's enough to make the action a crime. (The Justice Department won't file charges in every case, of course, but trusting prosecutorial discretion is hardly reassuring.)

Clinton Fein, a San Francisco resident who runs the Annoy.com site, says a feature permitting visitors to send obnoxious and profane postcards through e-mail could be imperiled.

"Who decides what's annoying? That's the ultimate question," Fein said. He added: "If you send an annoying message via the United States Post Office, do you have to reveal your identity?"

Fein once sued to overturn part of the Communications Decency Act that outlawed transmitting indecent material "with intent to annoy." But the courts ruled the law applied only to obscene material, so Annoy.com didn't have to worry.

"I'm certainly not going to close the site down," Fein said on Friday. "I would fight it on First Amendment grounds."

He's right. Our esteemed politicians can't seem to grasp this simple point, but the First Amendment protects our right to write something that annoys someone else.

It even shields our right to do it anonymously. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas defended this principle magnificently in a 1995 case involving an Ohio woman who was punished for distributing anonymous political pamphlets.

If President Bush truly believed in the principle of limited government (it is in his official bio), he'd realize that the law he signed cannot be squared with the Constitution he swore to uphold.

And then he'd repeat what President Clinton did a decade ago when he felt compelled to sign a massive telecommunications law. Clinton realized that the section of the law punishing abortion-related material on the Internet was unconstitutional, and he directed the Justice Department not to enforce it.

Bush has the chance to show his respect for what he calls Americans' personal freedoms. Now we'll see if the president rises to the occasion.

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford
Loading thread data ...

The key here is "intent"... It will be very hard to prove an Intent to annoy, harass, etc, unless someone does something silly- like, say, e-mailing someone's employer with the Intent to harass them by getting them into trouble at work, or e-mailing his/her spouse with unfounded allegations.

People will forever be able to post anonymous, trolling, oblivious drivel on usenet because there is usually no intent to harm or harass anyone directly. Even then, showing malicious intent is difficult. Think "cyberstalking". Slander laws take care of the obvious, they are just trying to close the loophole in electronic communication harassment. Calling someone an Asshole doesn't count.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

You still have the problem if some one is doing from an overseas server what are the feds going to do go over and get Paul. Now there an idea:)

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Since my so beloved usenet server of my isp is soooooo bad,i have to use goolge now (Grin...)

this is just what i was talking about on a blog with a die hard republican,what this Govt is doing is worst that what the Chiese govt has been doing in years,as lowering the rights of the poeple to freedom of speech and just plane freedom,heck i have now more freedom here in Canada them American have in the State!

and it supposed to be THE free country..

you know what, Big brother is just around the corner,leave Bush doing his crazyness and you will have it

Just the spying on local poeple phone call without a warrant should call for impeachment procedure on him,that was much more worst then lying about his sexual practice with a stagiaire..

Sorry to offend some american here,but as a fellow seing from the exterior,yet being more like in the front of an open windows,i just cant stay sit and dont warn you about this "god given mission" president...he will ruin your country and that would make me mad,cause even if i said bad thing about the state,you are still our best allyes and would rather have you there for a long time...(that would be much better then having the chinese as allyes ;-) )

Reply to
Petem

There's scant evidence that he's actually overseas or, for that matter, that his name is actually "Paul". In any case, his posts are on-topic and not intended to harass. They are intended to provoke anger and in that much he succeeds.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

what do you care if someone is listening. Unless you're doing something illegal? Besides data mining was done by the NSA under Clinton also. In case you don't know that is where computers listen to everything and then looks for certain words or phrases. Once something interesting is found they then spy on you. That is how we found out about Moussawi the last hijacker, but thanks to the wall built between our intelligence agencies by Clinton so they couldn't catch him giving secrets to the Chinese our CIA couldn't tell the FBI what was up.

looks like you guys have enough problems of your own, without worrying about ours.:)

Reply to
Chub

Seems you've run your own country into the ground, and now you want to tell us how to run ours. js

Reply to
alarman

You're worried about the Chinese? Just wait until Kim Jong Il gets an aircraft carrier.

Reply to
mikey

This whole idea annoys me.

Can I get Dubya arrested now?

Reply to
Matt Ion

He can barely afford a ride in Jiminex' rowboat

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: cjHwf.2899$Xo5.2621@trnddc02...

I feel that any post that try to change my mood to anger is an annoyance...

But that you cant understand..anger is your way of life..

Reply to
petem

Hell of a big rowboat.

Reply to
Jim

Why do you do this?

Reply to
mikey

Probably the same reason he posts as "Wireless Willie"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

TTBOMK, that was directed at international calls. The Bush administration has illegally authorized wholesale wiretapping of anyone who so much as speaks up against his terrorist policies.

You think Bin Laden is a threat to your security? Take another look at Bush. He's the worst threat to American freedom, not to mention the worst administration since Caligula.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

For the same reason you do. I find him (and you) despicable.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Probably not, but wait until Abramoff finishes testifying. Even if he's not impeached as he should be, Bush's power is being shredded by his association with the gang of thugs that control the Republican party.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You really need to stop reading the Daily KOS Robert

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Hey! for once I just have to admit,you make sense!

(but I still had to edit your tag line ;-)

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
petem

The only place something like that makes sense is around these people

formatting link

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.