telnet source address.

Is it possible to specify the source address for outgoing telnet connections? I created a loopback interface with the desired address and I gave "ip telnet source-interface loopback 0" but I didn't work.

Any ideas?

alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Hi alex,

I just checked this on my router (a 1720 with IOS 12.2(16) and it works as expected ...

The problem that I see is: The address, that you issue for loop0 MUST be routed back to your router (from the network over which the packets are running) ... If this is not the case, the destination will see the tcp-syn segments and send replies, but these replies will never be routed back to your router. (Or there might be an ACL in place dropping them?)

Regards ... Rainer

Reply to
Rainer Temme

Scenario

1721 with 10.132.6.254 as primary IP on the LAN, and 192.168.1.154 as secondary. I want to connect to 192.168.1.1 directly attached to the same switch where the 1721 is attached to. I followed the procedure described above.

Thanks a lot, Alex.

Reply to
AM

~ Rainer Temme wrote: ~ > AM wrote: ~ > ~ >> Is it possible to specify the source address for outgoing telnet ~ >> connections? ~ >> I created a loopback interface with the desired address and I gave "ip ~ >> telnet source-interface loopback 0" but I didn't work. ~ >>

~ >> Any ideas? ~ >>

~ >> alex. ~ > ~ > Hi alex, ~ > ~ > I just checked this on my router (a 1720 with IOS 12.2(16) and it ~ > works as expected ... ~ > ~ > The problem that I see is: ~ > The address, that you issue for loop0 MUST be routed back to your ~ > router (from the network over which the packets are running) ... ~ > If this is not the case, the destination will see the tcp-syn ~ > segments and send replies, but these replies will never ~ > be routed back to your router. ~ > (Or there might be an ACL in place dropping them?) ~ > ~ > Regards ... Rainer ~ > ~ Scenario ~ ~ 1721 with 10.132.6.254 as primary IP on the LAN, and 192.168.1.154 as secondary. I want to connect to 192.168.1.1 ~ directly attached to the same switch where the 1721 is attached to. I followed the procedure described above. ~ ~ Thanks a lot, ~ Alex.

telnet source-interface won't use a secondary address. You could create a loopback with a /32 address from your secondary subnet and use that as your source-interface.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.