Large Zip files in Internet Logs folder...

I understand that Zone Alarm creates and uses this folder. The zip files all start out with the name VSMON_2nd (then date stamp).dmp.zip with one exception: tvDebug.zip. These files add up to over 60 megs and I sure could use the hard drive space. All the VSMON zip files were created in 2005; the tvDebug file was created in June 2006. Is it safe to delete these files and not disrupt Zone Alarm (free version) from working? Also, is there a suitable alternative to ZA? Many thanks in advance to all who respond.

Reply to
Atreyu
Loading thread data ...

Yes. Depending on your environment, there is a good chance that you don't need ZA at all.

Please take the time to read some of the previous posts about ZA or personal firewalls in general - otherwise ask your question in a dedicated ZA forum.

Reply to
B. Nice

Thanks, B., for your time and response.

Did you mean it is safe to delete the files I mentioned?

Also, did I post my query >

Reply to
Atreyu

respond.

Read the posts on this link to ZoneLabs User Forums. I never keep the daily log files. You can delete them inside the interface. Make cleaning out the Internet Logs folder part of your maintainance routine.

formatting link
Lots of good information there.

charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

Thanks, Charlie....really appreciate your tips! :o)

formatting link

Reply to
Atreyu

You're welcome.

charlie R

formatting link
>

Reply to
charlie R

I actually meant that there is a good chance that you could safely get rid of both the files _and_ ZA.

Here is some reading for starters:

formatting link

Reply to
B. Nice

B., Thanks again so much for your response to my last query. At first glance your link above is both interesting and informative. You seem to have layed out a logical and easy to understand approach to the firewall issue for personal computers running in various environments. I promise I will continue to peruse all the information you've provided. Many, many thanks!

(By the way, with your and another's responses, I was able to reclaim nearly

300MB of hard drive space by safely deleting most of those .ZIP files I refered to in my initial post, as well as a large number of .TMP files! Now your weblink may hold the answer to whether I need a firewall at all!)
Reply to
Atreyu

"Atreyu" in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

i temporarily moved two of those looooooong named DUMP files, then deleted them. seemed to cause no problem.

also whenever win crashes, i have scandisk delete tvDebug.log just because scandisk always complains about it and it's a convenient way to delete the file :-)

you can get rid of old .log files and files with names like xDB90D3.TMP

Reply to
Splibbilla

Thank you very much, Splibbilla!

them. seemed to cause no problem.

scandisk always complains about it and it's a

Reply to
Atreyu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.