Is there any RFC for telnet proxy?

Hello,

I know there are a lot of RFCs for telnet protocal. But how about telnet proxy/gateway?

Thank you for your time!

Best Regards, Bo Xie

Reply to
xiebopublic
Loading thread data ...

Hello VB,

Thank you very much for your advice. I've tried the search engine of

formatting link
and it has no any result for "telnet proxy" or "telnet gateway". I also have tried google, but not result too. That's why I post it here.

Best Regards, Bo Xie

Reply to
xiebopublic

Please use

formatting link
- there is a searching engine also.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

one pointed to by

formatting link
not specifically search
formatting link
but categorization (organized by keywords found in titles and abstracts) ... click on "Term (term>RFC#)" in "RFCs listed by" section .... and find/move down to "proxy"

proxy see also firewall 3820 3666 3665 3620 3603 3527 3487 3413 3361 3319 3313 3261 3238 3143 3135 3040 2844 2843 2607 2577 2573 2543 2322 2273 2263 2186 1919

clicking on the RFC number, brings up the RFC summary in the lower frame. clicking on the ".txt=nnn" field retrieves the actual RFC.

proxies started out being stub applications that did application-level sanity checking of incoming requests (aka you actually had an application that listened on the socket ... accepted the tcp connection ... did minimal processing and then created a new tcp connection to the "real" application, forwaring the information). much of the early checking was trying to catch things like buffer overflow exploits

formatting link
for instance

1919 I Classical versus Transparent IP Proxies, Chatel M., 1996/03/28 (35pp) (.txt=87374) (Refs 959, 1383, 1597)

in contrast, early firewalls started out doing various kind of checking & filtering below the application level.

early on, you also had (port) wrappers ... possibly running on same machine (rather than boundary machine). the wrappers might provide things like different authentication checking (aka rather than have straight telnet userid/password ... front-end providing more sophisticated authentication processes ... before directly contacting telnet). i don't have keyword entry for wrappers.

Reply to
Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Of course not. Sorry.

A telnet gateway is a host, you can reach via telnet, and this host then allows you to start another telnet session on itself.

So there is no need for a special RFC for this.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.