intrusion alert

My firewall emails me the following:

03/09/2010 10:58:19.736 - Alert - Intrusion Prevention - FTP: PORT bounce attack dropped. - 192.168.248.213, 3629, X1 (rick) - 192.168.248.205, 21, X0 - Target host: 216.87.188.9, 59310 This email was generated by: SonicOS Enhanced 5.3.0.0-16o (0017-C54A-D6FC)

216.87.188.9 ==> whois:

OrgName: Affinity Internet, Inc OrgID: AFFI Address: Corporate headquarters Address: 3250 W. Commercial Blvd. City: Ft. Lauderdale StateProv: FL

Comments?

Reply to
Rick
Loading thread data ...

Get a real firewall.

Reply to
Jon Solberg

Nope, a droped packet on a crappy Sonicwall. SCNR

Reply to
Burkhard Ott

I think it means Affinity has an infected/zombied server. What do you think?

Reply to
Rick

Yes for sure, format all your servers you are at high risk since you've tried to access their servers, call them and tell them this serious problem what your fancy sonicwall told you and you end up as the hero of the day.

cheers

Reply to
Burkhard Ott

Believe it or not I did (once) get that to happen with a US based server because I found the owner (not IT savy) who leaned on his IT people and made them find the infected server.

Blessings, - Don Quixote

Reply to
Rick

OK, while analyzed this stream, since you surely mirror your ports and log it to a logging server, what did you find. As far as I understand your logged message, the firewall dropped evil Rick with the IP 192.168.248.213 (RFC1918!) to open a communication to server 216.87.188.9 on port 21 (ftp auth). The crappy sonicwall thinks this might be a bounce attack, so go to evil Rick this is the guy you need to hunt.

cheers

Reply to
Burkhard Ott

home-pwp.ccres.tpa.affinity.com ::= 216.87.188.9 is the one listening for the bounce - same name as I, so he must be a good guy and is more liable to be the victim (of zombie attack) than the bad guy ;-)

The Arwin listing phone number is NIS!

(Not In Service)

Heck, maybe it is a honey pot that just goes out looking for possible zombies on other systems.

Ah, in '07 Affinity was taken over by Hostway of Chicago - the plot thickens.

Reply to
Rick

No, impossible how can that be, maybe a name attack blocked by your sonicwall.

And what exactly makes it now more suspicious.

No it's the illuminati, first they attack your sonicwall since they know that you are able to following their tracks, as long as you try to understand what sonicwall says in it's stupid email message they overtake the world, tonight! I guess you just try to troll or maybe you have the wrong job.

cheers

Reply to
Burkhard Ott

Wrong job...

Reply to
Rick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.