How to Supress Hello packets on an interface enabled for OSPF

As I understand it, enabling an interface to join an area with the NETWORK command, also causes Hello packets to be sent out the interface. But if its a stub network, and you want it advertised, but there is no need for Hello packets to be sent out the interface, how do you suppress them?

The passive-interface command seems to be discouraged in OSPF, since there is far more granular control over which interfaces are affected by the network command.

The "redistribute connected subnets" could be used after entering the network command with a very restrictive mask that advertises only non-stub network interface(s). But that seems to open a whole new can of redristribute issues.

This is simple to do, right?

Cheers jim

Reply to
jimbo
Loading thread data ...

although i would use the passive interface command, you can create an ACL for 224.0.0.5 and 224.0.0.6 and block the hello packets too.

Reply to
<Anthrax>

Use " ip ospf demand-circuit" on one side of the link .But remember it will only work for p-t-p or p-t-mp ospf networks

Example :

RouterA# show run interface Serial0 interface Serial 0 encapsulation frame-relay ip address 141.108.1.1 255.255.255.0 ip ospf network-type point-to-mutipoint ip ospf demand-circuit

HTH SH

Reply to
sarabjit.herr

Right. Thank you. I was aware of that command, but I just want to supress hellos on the stub networks in the system. Seems no need to waste the bandwidth sending Hellos out a link that will never be responded to.

Jim

Reply to
jimbo

Yes ..Ip ospf demand-circuit will suppress sending hello packets .

jimbo wrote:

Reply to
sarabjit.herr

Good stuff. That is pretty much where I had arrived at. I saw a text somewhere that indicated the 'passive' command was unecessary in OSPF - but that is simply not so.

Jim

Reply to
jimbo

Hello Jimbo,

Best: (1) use the network command with teh appropriate network address and wildcard mask to include the required interface(s) into the scope of your OSPF process. Do this even for the stub networks. (2) use the 'passive' command to prevent interfaces to stub networks from sending hello packets. Result: OSPF will know the connected networks, but will not bother stub networks with hello packets. All networks are known as OSPF networks. All configuration can be done inside the 'router ospf' block

Alternative: (1) use the network command for all interfaces to all non-stub networks, where OSPF routers reside you want to establish neigborships with (2) use 'redistribut connected subnets' to make all other interfaces known to ospf Result: OSPF will know non-stub networks as OSPF networks, and other connected networks as external rotes. This router will become an ASBR. Can induce design constraints as your network grows

Another approach: (1) treat non-stub networks and stub networks the same by using appropriate network commands etc (2) use ACLs to block OSPF multicasts on the interfaces you do not want to build OSPF neighborships Result: almost the same as for the solution I consider 'best'. But the configuration is less local and is spread over several parts of the conf script: the 'router ospf' block, the regieon where the ACLs reside, and all interfaces to stub networks

Regards dbn58

"jimbo" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
dbn58

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.