Fortigate FG-60 and SIP

I'm thinking of upgrading an old Netscreen 5XP I have with a Fortigate

60 running the 2.80 release

Version:Fortigate-60 2.80,build393,050405

How well do these handle VOIP/SIP ? I have several lines using Vongage and one with Voicepulse and I need to be sure it will work well with this firewall.

Tom

Reply to
Tom
Loading thread data ...

I'm thinking of upgrading an old Netscreen 5XP I have with a Fortigate

60 running the 2.80 release

Version:Fortigate-60 2.80,build393,050405

How well do these handle VOIP/SIP ? I have several lines using Vonage and one with Voicepulse and I need to be sure it will work well with this firewall.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Just fine, I run Primus voip through mine and have various customers running sip, voip, h323, etc.. I generally set them up with guaranteed bandwidth for the voip traffic, or, I use prioritization to put all such traffic on high and the rest on medium priority.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Thanks Russ,

I ended up looking on the Fortinet Knowledge center, and I found a post that said the following:

======================================= FortiGate Support for the SIP protocol

Support for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) was added in FortiOS version 2.8 MR10 (build 465). Note that VIPs are not supported in MR10.

The attached technical note discusses FortiGate support for the SIP protocol and provides some sample scenarios and configuration examples.

If you are having difficulites with the connections, you may need to remove the session helper in MR10 to enable an SIP phone to work. ========================================

It looks like SIP support wasn't added until after 2.80, build393. Since I'm purchasing a previously owned unit, my guess is I'd have to sign up for a costly support contract to get VOIP/SIP to work. However, it appears even if I were to update, the update does not support VIP's which I use since I have only a single IP.

Tom

Somebody. wrote:

Reply to
Tom

No VIP's in build 393?! I find that hard to believe, I'm sure I've got clients running them on MR10. Could they just mean no VIP is support for SIP? Anyway MR11 is current so you should use that. Man that's wacky enough I might just blow in MR10 on my FG60 and test it out myself, I flat don't believe that there is no VIP in MR10. I have access to a SIP gateway I can use (with some effort). Not sure I actually have *time* this week to do that, but if I do I'll let you know what I find out.

Anyway, I think firmware only contracts are cheap, as is 8x5 email support. It's AV, IPS, and Fortiguard subscriptions that cost the most. Talk to your nearest freindly reseller about your options.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.