Firewall recommendation

Hi,

I am in process of building 2 servers that will be hosted in a datacentre. The first one will be a IIS6 web server and the second SQL Server which I need to access via remote control/MMC console from the internet. Could someone suggest a good firewall or the configuration methodology.

Thanks

Med

Reply to
Med
Loading thread data ...

Please don't implement such systems without a security concept. If you feel unsure about how to design one, please consider ordering from a security consulting company.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Only expose the web server via HTTP or HTTPS, when you want to manage the servers, VPN into the firewall appliance and then set rules to allow your VPN connection to access the servers as though you were on the LAN with them.

Any major vendors firewall will provide what you need, but I like WatchGuard, starting at the X700 series and above.

Reply to
Leythos

Hi,

Thanks for the advise. Following the link

formatting link
I can see restrictions on number of users (i.e X700 < 150). Does this include the users browsing the websites on my webserver or does it mean the admin/VPN connections to the firewall?

Regards

Med

Reply to
Med

You should actually look at the WatchGuard site - is there a reason you didn't look there?

formatting link
Concurrent Sessions 50,000/75,000

Limited to 100 VPN tunnels without upgrade.

We've got over 200 users in a medical center, 8 dedicated IPSec VPN tunnels to other offices, and a mail server in the DMZ, and the firewall is never the limiting factor in that solution.

I've got a bunch of these all over the US and several other countries, they seem to run/last forever and we've not had one cracked yet.

Reply to
Leythos

The Juniper Netscreen family is what I recommend.

Before you expose your servers to the Internet, even behind a firewall, find, and read, as much material on hardening Windows servers as you can. You can make a Windows server just as secure as any other box, but you have to work harder at it because of the default configuration chosen by Microsoft.

Reply to
Jerry Gardner

Not really work harder, work smarter. The Windows Server 2003 Security Guide has a template called "Bastion Host.inf" One simple operation applies it and you're pretty secure.

formatting link
even states:

"The "High" security settings in Microsoft's "Windows Server 2003 Security Guide" track closely with the security level historically represented in the NSA guidelines"

See

formatting link
for the full text.

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne

If you just want to mask the ports, most any firewall will do. Pick up a used NetScreen somewhere for peanuts without support and you'll be all set.

If you want to protect the IIS6 and SQL servers from in-band attacks and compromises, get a UTM type firewall with an IPS system like a Fortigate. There are no user limits or other counts and session tables are very large, so just size it for your bandwidth. Perhaps set up an HA pair if you want redundancy.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

If you only have 2 servers and need an all-in-one firewall and VPN solution, you should take a look at the Check Point Safe@Office. You only need the 5 node one (since 2 servers = 2 nodes unless you have more than one LAN IP for each) so the price is pretty low. Remote access client is free. And I am sure the technical support will gladly provide you with whatever guidance you need in order to set up the correct firewall policy.

formatting link

Reply to
TechGrrl

Yes, you're right, he can apply that template. I'm the untrusting type who prefers to do it myself so that I know exactly what I'm getting.

Reply to
Jerry Gardner

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the advises. I will do some research on them.

Med

Reply to
Med

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.