HTTP forwarding, based upon host header

Routine stuff. Done all the time. No prob. With host headers you can use one IP for multiple sites on the same port. See MS link below. Works fine on IIS5 and W2K even though it's written for IIS6.

formatting link

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster
Loading thread data ...

Oh... don't forget to make sure you configure your external DNS for the new site. Each host header needs a record.

-Frank

formatting link

Reply to
Frankster

Your firewall should support port mapping. This is where you set up port 81 to be forwarded inside to server #2 after mapping it to port 80. Rather than the usual one-to-one incoming mapping.

Then outside users have to use

formatting link
to access it.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

I've got a Watchguard X50 Edge hardware firewall connected to the internet via T1.

Inside the firewall, I've got 2 web servers, Windows 2000 Server.

The X50 has the capability to be associated to ONLY ONE external IP address (argh...).

I can easily forward all incoming PORT 80 traffic to either one of the web servers.

However, I need to be able to forward SOME incoming traffic to Web Server #1, and SOME incoming traffic to Web Server #2. Of course, this would be determined by the host header information.

So, xyz.com and abc.com are on Server #1. def.com and ghi.com are on Server #2.

Can anyone suggest a free or cheap software solution to this problem?

Thank you.

John

Reply to
john lemon

I've got a Watchguard X50 Edge hardware firewall connected to the internet via T1.

Inside the firewall, I've got 2 web servers, Windows 2000 Server.

The X50 has the capability to be associated to ONLY ONE external IP address (argh...).

I can easily forward all incoming PORT 80 traffic to either one of the web servers.

However, I need to be able to forward SOME incoming traffic to Web Server #1, and SOME incoming traffic to Web Server #2. Of course, this would be determined by the host header information.

So, xyz.com and abc.com are on Server #1. def.com and ghi.com are on Server #2.

Can anyone suggest a free or cheap software solution to this problem?

Thank you.

John

Reply to
john lemon

I am familiar with hosting multiple web sites on a single server using a single IP address.

However this situation is a little different.

I have two web servers on the same 192.168.111.x network.

Server #1: 192.168.111.1 - xyz.com and abc.com Server #2: 192.168.111.2 - def.com and ghi.com

External DNS is configured so that the WWW hosts for these 4 domains point to 207.56.34.12 (for example).

207.56.34.12 is the hardware firewall.

The firewall port forwarding is set up to forward all PORT 80 requests to

xyz.com and abc.com are fully accessible from the outside world.

But back to my original question, how can I access

formatting link
and
formatting link
from the outside world ?

formatting link

Reply to
john lemon

formatting link
>

I don't know about IIS but Apache web server allows virtual name-based virtual hosts to be on different physical servers. Maybe IIS does also.

Reply to
BobC

Then just use a virtual host concept i.e. like the one from Apache, and proxy the right traffic to the second webserver.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Configure the "wrong" webserver, which is reached by all the traffic, as a proxy for those websites.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I understand that this is conceptually what I need to do...but how does it work in practice? Do you have any suggestions on how to start ?

Reply to
john lemon

john lemon wrote: [IIS virtual hosts and proxiing to a second server]

formatting link
?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/html/acca715c-aa55-405b-89fe-e9f9e4f34391.asp A remapping tool is in the IIS resource kit.

HTH, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.