Firewall 192.168.1.1

My home network has a mix of hard-wired and wireless computers running on a Linksys router with a Linksys wireless access point.

Some of the computers have a fixed address, the others are set by the dhcp server. Zone Alarm Pro is installed on all computers and it seems to work well.

When looking at the VisualZone report for Zone Alarm, it appears that Zone Alarm is blocking a lot of attempted connections from the router at 192.168.1.1.

This is the address that I use access the routers configuration page. Should I allow Zone Alarm to block this address? Would adding it as a "trusted" address in Zone Alarm create any security issues?

TIA

Reply to
Ajax
Loading thread data ...

You can block anything that the software lets you configure. However, if you start blocking your LAN IP addresses, wouldn't that stop your LAN from working? I use Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 behind a Netgear FR114p. I have three trusted LAN IP addresses:

192.168.3.0/24 192.168.102.0/24 172.29.61.0/16

The only security implications in my configuration would be anybody who physically connects to any segment; all segments are strictly wired. Wireless has its own security implications apart from trusted IP addresses.

Reply to
NormanM

Ajax wrote in news:1glqf1dsnpo8lobr7n2cuj4tu5f5nh2ki3@

4ax.com:

Device IP, the range of the allowed DHCP IP(s) and the Static IP of the router were allowed to access the machines on the LAN. The personal FW on all machines was configuerd to allow the traafic from the IP(s).

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Notice that you're not using 192.168.1.x and not using 192.168.0.x as trusted - that's really very good. If you always trust the two ranges above may as well not have a firewall, since those are the default ranges of most home routers and many businesses.

I don't run my home or any of the businesses we setup in the default ranges of any of the Home/SOHO router devices, which means that when people go to a hotel or another network it's very likely that they won't default to allowing all communications.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.