Earthlink Firewall

I have a question about EarthLink's firewall. I am presently using Zone Alarm for my firewall protection. EarthLink has sent me a new CD with upgraded programs including a "Protection Control Center" which has a firewall. Does anyone have an recommendations concerning which firewall to use?

Thank You John

Reply to
John Perry
Loading thread data ...

means: You don't have any clue about serious security measures.

Uninstallation.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Sounds like a swell product to me...

*Please note that this is a scan-only version. To remove spyware or viruses and get automatic updates, you will need to subscribe to the full version.

IMPORTANT: If you decide to download and install the Protection Control Center, it will uninstall any current anti-virus software you may have on your computer. Please note that this is an industry standard to prevent any software conflicts. The Protection Control Center is for users of Windows 2000 and XP operating systems only. All others, please see Norton Security Products for alternative software options.

formatting link

Reply to
Gary

Ouch. As if malware removable was anything one could actually want (in terms of expecting it to work reliable)...

o_O ?

Good idea. These will damage your system that the malware can't damage it any further.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

John, I'd stick with ZoneAlarm if it's already working for you. Other folks here might have some better recommendations but it's certainly better than using the one that comes with XP. Do you use your DSL or dialup directly from your PC or do you have something in between?

OT: I wonder if Cisco's Windows VPN client will still bundle the ZA engine for a while even though they're now part of Checkpoint. They must have a licensing agreement that's not expired yet.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Certainly that's not the case. I wouldn't recommend replacing a simple TCP/IP-stack-integrated filtering module with a big buggy additional driver, a lot of useless and defective application control and a weird unusable GUI from a really filthy vendor.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Wow, you've given an almost perfect description of Windows and Microsoft.

Reply to
Gary

Gary wrote: [Zone Alarm]

It isn't. Pleaze provide arguments, if you have other opinions.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

On 18 May 2006, Volker Birk

My experience is limited to the trimmed down version of ZA that comes with Cisco's VPN client for Windows. I don't know if the stand-alone version works the same way or not but the bundled version works quite well.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.