Anti-theft devices

Has anyone dealt with any anti-theft products that they can recommend. My client has six little Sony cameras on tripods, at the desks, that they use in their training programs. It seems the cameras have a tendency to walk. I am looking for something that can be attached to the camera (cosmetics are important) and that will notify the security control center, which I plan to do over the access control system, since they are monitoring it anyway. I have looked at Protex Intl, but they don't have a unit with an alarm output. Any recommendations?

Reply to
Bob Worthy
Loading thread data ...

How about a roll-your-own solution?

I made a nice pretty picture rather than describe it. :-)

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Why not just go wireless with a micro Txmitter and a small gauge wire that could be looped thru a portion of the camera. The Txmitter could be mounted (stuck) to the bottom of the tripod. Somebody disconnects the camera and breaks the wire loop it is alarm time.

Then on the other hand they are taking the camera with tripod this plan will not work. Need to work up plan "B".

Good luck.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Here's a possibility. Are you looking at these cameras through a DVR? If not, it may be worth it to get one. I would imagine that the cameras disappear when there's supposed to be "no one" around.

Set the DVR to sense motion on the cameras after a certain time of the day, that will cause an alarm trip on the DVR. Do what you want with the output.

That way there's no device on the cameras.

Reply to
Jim

There are a number of companies making fiber optic cable systems which will do the job. LightGard is one example though you can probably find a less expensive competing brand elsewhere. Here's a URL:

formatting link
Fiber optic systems are extremely difficult to compromise without special hardware and knowledge. The down side is the cost.

A less expensive option uses coaxial cable. This one you could probably DIY though there are packaged solutions around which work in similar fashion. The coax needs to be looped through a permanent part of the protected object to be most effective. A simple, 24-hour, EOL supervised alarm circuit flows through the coax. Cutting or shorting the coax will trip the alarm. Rig the loop from the panel to a tampered j-box near the cameras. Mount two RCA, F or BNC jacks to the box. One is other wired to the alarm circuit from the panel. The other has an EOLR wired across it. Plug the cable into one jack, loop it through the protected object and plug the other end into the other jack.

Remember to tamper the J-Box cover.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.