Disable Zone Alarm Smart Defense Advisor??

I'm using Zone Alarm Pro Version 6.1.744.001with Windows 2000 Pro. I have set "Smart Defense Advisor" to "OFF" however it still seems to intrude on actions I might take even when not connected to the Internet. It may be smart but it seems like overkill and is an annoyance. Can this feature be totally shut down?

Reply to
Thomas J. Carnegie
Loading thread data ...

Sincere condolences.

Yes. Remove Zone Alarm and just use the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I'm not using Windows XP but rather Windows 2000 therefore I don't have a Windows-Firewall. Any other thoughts?

Reply to
Thomas J. Carnegie

Place an external firewall box between your broadband Internet connection and your Windows 2000 box. Then remove zonealarm from your Windows 2000 box.

Your dsl modem may or may not already have firewall-like features. Open a command prompt and ipconfig /all Is your IP address 69.151.239.210 or 192.168.... ?

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

ICF is there, too. You could use also

formatting link
or
formatting link
to configure your box for not offering network services any more.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Not in Windows 2000.

Better.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Win2k has ICF?

I use Win2k and Kerio. I tried ZA for some users because I thought "Smart Defense" would help them answer the queries correctly, but the thing had an IQ of zero. It hardly ever knew how to set permissions for common programs.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You're probably just getting the "OS Firewall" popups. If that's too annoying for you then try another firewall. Or as mentioned, just get a cheap router to protect you from inbound and do away with the software firewall altogether. That's what I've done and I'm happy..

Reply to
Kerodo

How about going to ZAP's Program Control / Main / Custom / then disable the OS Firewall component while keeping the rest of ZAP?

Also, my understanding of SmartDefense Advisor, which is far from perfect, is that you'll get fewer popups to resolve if you go with Automatic. With it off, any issue will require your input while with Automatic, if ZA knows what to do, it'll automatically set permissions without bothering you--won't it?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

No. There it has another name :-P

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

No. For what reason ever, the filtering capacity of the kernel is included in what Microsoft call "IPSec".

Such filtering outbound is futile anyways.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Nope. The ICF was introduced with Windows XP. On Windows 2000 you can use the TCP/IP filter in the advanced TCP/IP settings (which is NOT available for dialup connections), you can (mis)use IPSec as a packet filter [1] (which has disadvantages of its own), or you can use some third-party software (like a Personal Firewall). Period. There is nothing even remotely similar to the ICF in Windows 2000.

[1]
formatting link
cu 59cobalt
Reply to

No.

You can use the packet filtering implementation of Windows' kernel, which is now called "ICF", and you're reaching it under the very strange name "IPSec" with even stranger UI ;-)

IPSec has nothing to do with packet filtering at all, beside this abuse of the name by Microsoft.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

You know damn well what I meant.

ICF is not the packet filter of the kernel, but the service and frontend for its configuration.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.