Disable routing on the linksys WRT54GS

The WTRT54GS is a router but I don't want it to route: I'd like the four Ethernet ports to act just like a dumb hub and the wifi to be an extension of the subnet the WAN port is connected to. I picked up the Linksys AP "WAP11" which does the job fine but I've got these WTRT54GS routers I can't use. What bugs me is the router is more expensive but can't do a simple feature like disabling the routing.

Reply to
you know who maybe
Loading thread data ...

Disable DHCP on it, set it with the Default Gateway of your local router, set it in the same IP network, it should work just like a switch/AP.

Reply to
Leythos

"you know who maybe" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Long version

formatting link
**&p_li=&p_topview=1 Short version

formatting link
The wireless router becomes an wire/WAP switch.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Can't be done. Needs to choose either "router" mode or "gateway" mode.

Reply to
you know who maybe

I'm currently doing this successfully by configuring the "Internet" settings of the WRT54GS with a fictitious address on an unused private subnet, and then simply not plugging anything into the Internet (external) port.

For example, I use the 172.29.0.0/24 address range on my home LAN (i.e., every piece of equipment I have at home uses an IP address starting with 172.29.0). I chose 172.29.1.0/24 as the "fake" network for configuring the Internet side of my WRT54GS. I set the "Internet" side to use the static IP address 172.29.1.251, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and with a (nonexistent) gateway address of 172.29.1.2.

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

formatting link

Reply to
Rich Wales

Nice! I love these kinds of tricks!

Reply to
you know who maybe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.