Cyber Monday

X-No-Archive: Yes

Cyber Monday is coming, and given the traffic through my proxy to shopping sites, over the past few days, coming from corporate network addresses, I expect to see a heavy volume of traffic coming through my proxy on Monday, when people go online from work to do their Christmas shopping through the various online retailers.

On Tuesday, I had a peak load of 368 at 9:03 AM US Eatern time, nearly all coming from corporate network addresses, and going to every kind of shopping site imagineable. I expect the load to possibly break my proxy softwarre, forcing me to reboot my server a couple of times.

For proxy site operators, like me, Cyber Monday is a busy time for us, as we have to monitor the load, and re-boot our machines, if the software should break under the load. With a lot of employers blocking shopping sites, public proxies, like mine, become INVALUABLE to the various online retailers, as workers can bypass the filtering system, using our proxies, and access the various shopping sites and get their online Christmas shopping done. I am sure a lot of the various online retailers LOVE what we do, becuase we actually help increase their sales. Because of us, they get more visits, and, in turn, more money.

Reply to
Chilly8
Loading thread data ...

I wonder how many people each year get fired for shopping while at work?

Reply to
Ryan P.
  • Ryan P. :

Depends on the company I suspect but shopping not that many I bet. Listening to the radio, watching tv, warez, looking at p*rn I suspect a lot more.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

That's precisely the reason I do all my surfing through an ssh tunnel to my home server running a squid proxy, bypassing the corporate monitoring completely.

Reply to
slackerama

That is why proxy operators, like me, see their sites busy during Cyber Monday. With my proxy, there is no POSSIBLE way they can find out someone was shopping online from work. And being I had a peak load at 368 at 14:03 UTC (9:03 AM US Eastern Time) on Tuesday, I do predict my proxy to be very busy come Monday. In each of these 368 cases, the boss would know that someone connected to my proxy, but would not know where they went beyond my proxy.

You are most correct there. With any proxy, including your own, they cannot determine where you went. They would know you were going to a proxy, but would NOT know where you went BEYOND that proxy.

Reply to
Chilly8

My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes. :)

But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far... probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at work!

Reply to
Ryan P.

As for the guy the mentions keyloggers in his workplace, there are programs out there that can hunt down and neutralise keyloggers.

Reply to
Chilly8

Which ones actually work? A relative of mine recently purchased a used computer off Cragislist, but won't let me wipe the HD and reinstall the OS for safety. I've run Ad-Aware and Spybot and made sure the router is secure... is there another program out there I can scan with? I see lots of pretty banners on the internet, but don't trust most of them!

Reply to
Ryan P.

LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not, companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at that...

Reply to
slackerama

LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not, companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at that...

Reply to
slackerama

Reply to
slackerama

Reply to
slackerama

Reply to
slackerama

Reply to
slackerama

Reply to
slackerama

That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to work.

And I did see a lot of hits today on my proxy as people logged in to shopping services, from work, through my proxy, so that they could do their online shopping and the boss will NEVER know what they were up to. The boss would know that somoene went to my proxy, but where they went beyond that, there is no POSSIBLE way they coiuld find out.

Reply to
Chilly8

And yet it doesn't work like you claim - we have blocked 100% of unapproved sites from our clients network using a simple concept - no internet access to ANY site unless it is white-listed.

Your proxy servers are useless in this manner and any firewall permits this.

Reply to
Leythos

Please lookup the keyword "transparent proxy" in your tech manual. Please read and understand.

Oh, and by the way, maybe you should lookup a typical company's IT usage agreement. Something about "not circumventing technical installations" and "you'll get fired it"...

And now, after you looked up "transparent proxy", you should also lookup "man-in-the-middle" and "root certificate installation".

Reply to
Sebastian G.

My proxy is an entry node onto the Tor network, so its pretty well anonymous. The boss would knwo that a person connected to my proxy, but would know where a worker went beyond that. Being that its a Tor entry proxy, it provides a good level of anonymity.

That would depend on HOW its done. I have been trying to get phpProxy to work on my server, but there is some strange error that I cannot figure out how to fix. Since they would go directly to my web site, and surf from there, it would NOT be considered "circumventing technical isntallation", so NO CHANGES would be needed to the browser settings, which is why those kinds of proxues are outstripping all others in usgge. If the filter FAILS to block access to my web site, this is is LEGAL for a worker to use it, contrary to what a couple of others say. As long as you do not BREAK any PASSWORDS to do it, then it cannot be considered "circumventing technical installations".

Reply to
Chilly8

Some people have wondered why they cannot see any posts from Leythos. I have found out that SuperNews blocks his posts for some reason. I have to use an anonymous posting service, news.aioe.org, to read hits posts. In the oppoosite, news.aioe.org blocks posts from RyanP, but I can read those on SuperNews.

Reply to
Chilly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.