Configuring a cisco 837 to allow Xbox Live

My new Xbox fails to connect to xbox live. The dianostic fails at the MTU check. Logging into the router and performing a "sho interface e0" reports I have

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

What is going on? Reading between the lines of the MS "help" articles it appears the MTU is a generic message for a number of different MS issues. Is anybody able to explain how to make this work.

Thanks inadvance.... Fergus

Reply to
Fergus McMenemie
Loading thread data ...

Hi Fergus,

Its my guess that your local LAN is using an MTU of 1500 bytes, and something on the PATH between your system and the host you are trying to reach is using LESS than an MTU of 1500. In addition, a device somewhere on the PATH has got "don't fragment" turned on, so the packet is discarded, If you are using a PPPoE environment then it is likely that that may be restricting the PAYLOAD to something like 1492 bytes (or even less).

There are 2 main ways of handling this 1. Increase the MTU's on the Path to allow 1500 all the way (not always possible for Network componets outside your ownership). 2. Force all outward packets to a maximum MTU size (look up MSS adjust) that prevents fragmentation. Unfortunately this means you need to know WHAT the maximum is, and that can be a mission in itself.

Good luck..............pk.

Reply to
Peter

assuming that your router is already setup to access Interent sucessfully, then try configuring

ip tcp adjust-mss 1460

Reply to
Merv

[..]

Correct, it's a generic message. You'll need to open for at least 3074/tcp ( this traffic is not initiated by the Xbox ) 88/udp ( Kerberos ) and 3074/udp, the UDP-traffic is initiated by the Xbox.

formatting link

-Øystein

Reply to
Øystein Gylan

Peter, Merv

Thanks for the help. However it was a MS message after all and I should have guessed it was a total red herring. The MTU issue was raised in response to a rather misleading link checking function within the xbox dashboard. When checking the link it kept failing at the MTU check.

The real fault was three ports blocked by the firewall. Once the ports were opened I was able to remove all the MTU messing about I had added to the configuration. The Xbox appears to be working for the most part.

However my s> Hi Fergus,

Reply to
Fergus McMenemie

Reading the article mentioned by Øystein it is clear that port forwarding is not required. Something else is blocking his access to certain teams of on line players. Odd though the message was along the lines of "could not connect to all the payer of this game" or "the other players of this game could make contact"

whatever;-)

Fergus McMenemie wrote:

Reply to
Fergus McMenemie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.