NAT router, AV and firewall

If I have a NAT router that stops incoming packets (grc.com says my machine is completly stealthed even when I use only the NAT firewall) and a good updated AV-software that will detect virus and trojans...

Is there then any reason at all to have a software firewall?

I have always had one, to monitor programs, but it takes both RAM and CPU% and my AV should detect any trojans before they send anything, right?

My AV both has a normal program-scan (scans all started programs), a web-scanner (scans everything downloaded with a browser) and a mail-scanner (scans everything received through mail).

It has a "network scanner" as well which I don't use (think that is supposed to scan network traffic, sound a bit like a firewall :-)

Reply to
Lars-Erik Østerud
Loading thread data ...

No, you really don't need one of the router has a syslog function so that you can look at inbound and outbound traffic to and from the router, with something like Wallwatcher.

formatting link

The AV program can be beaten by a 0 day exploit that the AV may not be able to detect.

All of it can be beaten by malware under the right conditions.

You can get a FW router that can stop inbound, outbound and has a syslog.

You can use other tools to detect things and run them as needed to look around on the machine yourself.

long

formatting link
short
formatting link

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Itæs a very cheap router :-) It can block incoming packets, it has some function to stop break-in attempts (but that slows it down to much). Nothing much else. So it does not examine the packages.

Reply to
Lars-Erik Østerud

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.