bandwidth distribution

I am using Wingate for sharing my home internet connection. Wingate is installed in Win2000 and 3 XPs are sharing the connection. My internet speed is 256Kbps/64Kbps. When one of the computers uses P2P software, the bandwidth is noticeably reduced and websites take ages to download and even fail to load sometimes. I would like to know if the bandwidth can be equally distributed among the 4 computers. If one or more computers are not using internet, I would like to have the unused bandwidth be added to the quota of other computers. Is it possible to achieve this? Can Wingate do it or do I need other networking softwares?

I would also like to know if it is possible for the client computers to "grab" the bandwidth from the Wingate computer. That might be called bandwidth stealing but since it is a home network, it is ok with us.

Need some help. Thanks! Ben

Reply to
crescent_au
Loading thread data ...

Win/* ICS will always impact the bandwidth due to the pass-thru nature of the connection.

You'r better off with a router and having all systems connected directly to it. With only a capacity of 256k/64k, the p2p will almost certainly clobber the net until it quiesces. You might try a switch like this modem -->router-->switch-->all other machines. The switch will give better bandwidth management under heavy loads, but the 256k/64k upper limit will be the determining factor.

Reply to
Jeff B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.