Automate MAC & HOSTNAME changes in Linksys WRT54G NAT wireless router

Is there an existing automated way to change the MAC address & hostname of my home ROUTER (Linksys WRT54G)?

I know about Gorlani's MacMakeUp manual MAC address-spoofing tool but it works on the WinXP computer - but this doesn't help anyone behind a NAT router - as the ROUTER's MAC address is what the Internet "sees"

formatting link
Manually, I can change the MAC address of the Linksys WRT54G wireless NAT by going to the Linksys WRT54G MAC Address tool inside the router at http://192.168.10.10/WanMAC.htm - which works fine - and can do the same with the router HOSTNAME (which the Internet also sees) - but these changes are all manual.

Since the Linksys WRT54G router runs Linux, I started googling for a more automated way to periodically change both the router's MAC address (which is the only MAC address the Internet sees) and the router's host name. I soon came across you guys in the process (e.g., Mad Macs changes both the host name and MAC address of the PC NIC card

formatting link
. But Mad Macs won't do a thing to change the MAC address or HOSTNAME shown to the Internet because the ROUTER's hostname and MAC address are what the Internet "sees".

In digging through your archives for a script to run on the ROUTER, I see you guys wrote automated scripts to spoof the MAC address & hostname of Windows & Linux PCs

formatting link
... but being behind a NAT ......

Has anyone yet written a program to automatically change the MAC address & HOSTNAME of the wireless router?

I also asked this question at binrev but haven't seen any response yet

formatting link

Reply to
yellowgirlnc
Loading thread data ...

The Internet does not see your MAC-address nor your hostname. The MAC-address is transproted to the next hop (if at all) and that is your ISP.

What is the purpose of changing MAC-address and hostname then?

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Trying to do some botched attempt at wireless spoofing ?

Reply to
Matt

Hi there Jens, What information does a web page get then? Doesn't it get the machine name, the browser type and version, the operating system, the IP address, etc.?

Good question Jens. If you know of a better way, then let me know. As an automated privacy step, I'm simply trying to automate the changing of my IP address and hostname provided to web pages.

I've noticed when I change my router MAC address manually, then I get a new IP address.

So here is the desired sequence .....

1.- I go to a web page and it "captures" my IP address & hostname whether I like it or not 2.- On a fifteen-minute schedule, my IP address and hostname is changed 3.- When I go back to that web address, it captures my new IP address and hostname but it has no idea that I am the same person (only my ISP knows for sure).

Isn't the hosntame and IP address of the router what is captured by the web pages I visit? If I change the router's MAC address, that changes the IP address every time (works like a charm, within seconds).

Without (slower than molasses) proxies, is there a better way to change the IP address and hostname captured by web pages I visit?

Reply to
yellowgirlnc

Naaaaaaaah. It's my observation I get a new IP address from my ISP each time I change the MAC address of my router and I want to automate that so that a web page which "captures" my IP address and hostname doesn't get the same one twice.

How would YOU accomplish that?

Reply to
yellowgirlnc

Hi,

yellowgirlnc schrieb:

Yepp. Use a proxy or a proxy chain.

No.

Yes.

Yes. Do not use the Web at all.

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Just a FYI: You may want to revisit your ISP's Acceptable Use Policy or whatever they call it. You would seem to be abusing their DHCP server and they could terminate your account. :(

Reply to
Bit Twister

When changing your MAC address, you're effectively resetting your connection. Upon reconnect, you're getting a new IP address assigned.

Don't you think that pulling the plug or pressing the reset button is a way easier method for achieving this? Or, uh, what about the "Disconnect" button in your router's config menu? D'oh!

What a nonsense. Anyway, why don't you try something like a PROXY?

Thinking first and then asking the RIGHT question. You're extremely far off from your actual problem, and only wrong conclusions in between.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Huh? By changing the router's MAC address? Will the police be here soon?

Reply to
yellowgirlnc

What's a good FAST freeware proxy chain you'd recommend Jens?

Reply to
yellowgirlnc

I used to do that but switching the MAC address allows me to change my IP address from the kitchen instead of having to go downstairs to the router.

Pressing Disconnect & then Reconnect also works but it's not as fast as just changing the MAC address. Either way, it's no better of a solution.

I already knew about all three of these, having done them all. But ... the question is ....... Do you have a suggestion for AUTOMATING any of your suggestions?

If you do, I'd be forever greatful!

Reply to
yellowgirlnc

Yes.

Of course not. Your ISP cuts you off. They know you will call and they can tell you why.

Even with you getting 4 different ip address per hour you are most likely to stay under their radar. But then again, maybe a few hundered lurkers on SBC's net see your post and do it also.

DHCP server admin gets called because a monitoring program flags ip address lease chrun crossed a threshold.

A little research points you out and the easy fix is deactivating accounts abusing the network. 8-)

But, what is the worst that can happen. Lose your adsl ISP and go back to dial up. Problem solved.

Reply to
Bit Twister

No, you'll just be disconnected and your account canceled.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

What a nonsense, it is no way slower. And, in contrast to your f****ng with the DHCP server, a legitimate way.

Use wget on your router's config menu.

But instead of doing that, you should stop thinking about it and addressing the actual problem.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Hi,

yellowgirlnc schrieb:

Cheap, fast, reliable: Pick any two.

You can't have all of it in one package unfortunately.

Start with:

formatting link
Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Perfect free proxy does not exist. Changing your IP address is good ideas not best discussed here before today.

It is a good idea to continue change PC MAC address many times every day for new IP address and therefore for new identity. Web page you visit only know you for the time of the IP address not expired. Change PC IP address two times in hour bad guys only trace you're half hour of activity unless they ask the ISP which they do not do often.

On the PC hostname you may not need change PC hostname two times every hour. Look if PC hostname is captured at the privacy detection home page

formatting link
?l=en
formatting link

Reply to
guntherwiebel

Hi,

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com schrieb:

Why is that so?

It is not. It is an uncalculated additional burden on the ISP side. The ISP is the only one able to identify the user anyway (if the user is not stupid enough and you live in a decent democracy).

Still: What is the purpose?

Cheers, Jens

PS: Security turns into paranoia, if there is no calculated risk.

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Are you *SURE* this free JAP proxy program actually works?

I installed & configured this recommended JAP program but

formatting link
still found my IP address.

Does any free proxy actually work against astalavista's hacking methods?

Reply to
David Wright

Hi,

David Wright schrieb:

Yes.

Did you activate JAP? What did the security gauge show?

Defined behaviour is hardly hacking.

Greetings, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Works fine from here, with that site.

Reply to
Anonymous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.