Attempted zip download blocks future requests to domain

I have experienced a strange problem. I have a zip file on my web site that I sometimes download at client locations. Recently, attempts to download it have timed out, and then any future attempts to view any page on my site, or any page for other sites hosted at the same IP address, have gotten a "page not found" error page (not only on the machine where I attempted the download, but on other machines at the same location).

Is this likely to be due to a bit pattern that matches a virus signature? And somehow the server is "blacklisting" that IP address?

Reply to
Steve Claflin
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps it's an MTU problem, maybe at client's side.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Check the webserver logs and see what they say about the connection attempts from those IP addresses.

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne McGlinn

There can be lots of causes.

Did u try logging on to server on diffrent port?

CK-NET

Reply to
NETADMIN

Yes, I should have mentioned that I was successful in pinging the site, and a request to the site at port 8080 did attempt to find the port (it still came up with a failure message, but that port is not enabled on the server -- it did appear to actually go look for it as opposed to immediately returning a not found message). Also, a Java program I wrote to get a web page threw an exception about connection reset by peer as opposed to connection refused.

Reply to
Steve Claflin

I took a look at the logs -- as far as I can tell, the log does not register ANY attempts to get those files, not even the initial attempts.

Reply to
Steve Claflin

If there's nothing in the logs, then the FTP requests are not even *getting* to your server, is there an upstream router/device you can check?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne McGlinn

I total agree with this if you are not getting any log then you should concentrate on upstream router/firewall.

Reply to
NETADMIN

OK, I looked at the logs again, and do not see any requests after a specific date. But, on that date, there were almost 3600 requests for the page in a

40 minute period, all from the same IP address. Is this the sort of thing that can trigger a server to block any IP address that requests the page later? (I've sent the same question to my hosting company to see if they explicitly put in a block.)

Reply to
Steve Claflin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.