atomic clock and ZA

I have a clock sync program (aclock 2.7.0.3) running on NT4 machine no problems. When try it on w2k machine if fails to connect to timeserver (port 13) and says check firewall. Firewall is ZA 5.1.033 and afaik gives permission for this program. I should say the ZA version on the NT4 machine is an old version :) The machines are in fact the same box (dual boot). I can't see in ZA how to check that a particular port is in fact ok. Maybe is nothing to do with firewall? Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks.

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Just a guess here, but for the program "About Time", another clock synch program, it needs both Internet access AND server access to work. Have you tried having ZA give your aclock program server access (both trusted and internet)?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Why do you even think that ZA has something to do with a firewall?

Is this a kindergarden? At least you should know what the problem is if you're asking for a solution. It seems like everything works as supposed, ZA is randomly f****ng up your network functionality and blinking colorful.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Bore!

Sorry I can't help you if you don't know where you are.

The problem is the aclock cannot connect to the time server. Sorry if it's too difficult for you to understand. The other responder seemed to understand perfectly. Are you new to the internet then?

Except: On one machine it works On the other it doesn't! That's sort of "not working" isn;t it.

I just stopped ZA and rebooted. (I should have tried that before I know) but problem persists (that means it's "still there", to you).

Sorry, but your usless guess about a problem you say has not been defined is er um, WRONG.

Reply to
Dave

Yes I tried that - still no go.

Reply to
Dave

"At least you should know what the problem is if you're asking for a solution."

Huh?

Have you COMPLETELY lost it?

Notan

Reply to
Notan

Deactivation isn't enough to disable the random crippling behaviour. You really need to uninstall it. And my guess it will work then.

Then you're just not aware that ZA is intended to f*ck up everything? Actually it's quite obvious wrt. looking at the implementation.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

No. His question goes exactly like this: "I have installed a software which is well know to be very defective. Now everything is broken."

This is no question, it's a corollary.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Darn. OK, a second thought... Have you checked your ZA "alerts and logs" to see if ZA is blocking anything related to aclock or the port? Will the new version of ZA work on Win2k? If so, is there a reason not to try it? [Note: the previous sentence is intended for Dave or other personal firewall users only.] Alternately, are there other clock synch programs that will work with your Win2k that you could try? As I said, "About Time" works for me (although it only updates the PC system clock--it doesn't have a pretty clock display on your monitor as some clock programs do.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

The ZoneAlarm user forums have discussed this issue quite a bit:

Maybe there's some help for you there. I could find nothing related to aclock specifically but searching for clock synch, time synchronization and similar search terms make it a common problem with a possible solution for you of setting up an "Expert Rule".

Craig

Reply to
Craig

A google search doesn't reveal much technical data on that program, but are you sure it wants port 13? There are a number of different time services, and port 13 is used by "Daytime" (RFC0867 from 1983) both UDP _or_ TCP. This protocol returns time of day in a human readable form similar to the UNIX date command

[compton ~]$ date -u Thu Jun 22 19:44:03 UTC 2006 [compton ~]$

There is also a 'Time' protocol (RFC0868 also from 1983) which provides time in a 'seconds since epoch' (seconds since 00:00:00 UTC 01/01/1970) as a 32 bit binary word. This service on port 37 (also TCP or UDP). This service is much more common. Approximately the same time as shown above would be represented as

[compton ~]$ date "+%s" 1151005461 [compton ~]$

in decimal, or '1000100100110101111001100010101' in binary.

The standard for network related time is 'NTP' or Network Time Protocol which also provides a 'seconds since epoch' (same epoch), but as a 64 bit binary word (32 bits of seconds, 32 bits of fractions of a second). RFC1059 (1988) specifies version 1, which was replace by version 2 (RFC1119) in 1989, and clarified in version 3 (RFC1305) in 1992. This service uses port 123/udp only. There is also a 'SNTP' or Simple Network Time Protocol which is a subset of NTP, and uses the same port and data format. Later versions of windoze include a client for this service.

I got rid of windoze in 1992 before microsoft invented networking, so I can't say - but are you sure you are allowing the correct port?

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Atomic Clock does in fact connect to remote port 13. Mine does.. Casey

Reply to
Casey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.