At one of our competitors .......

We are covering the Trophee Bompard figure skating competition this week, and on one of our competitors Web sites, someone is logging on, from work, in a way where her boss has no CLUE as to what she is doing. I talked to someone at Figure Skating Universe, one of our competitors in online sports coverage, and this one woman is using an encrypted anonymising service to log on to Figure Skating Universe, and her boss has NO CLUE that she is logged on to Figure Skating Universe all day. The admins at her workplace knows that she has a 128-but encrypted VPN tunnel, over ports 80 and/or 443, to an anonymising service, but they have NO CLUE that she is logged on to a figure skating discussion board all day. She has put one over on the admins at her workplace. Anyone reading this could have somone at your workplace, logged onto Figure Skating Universe, right now, and you would never know what she is up to, if she just happens to be working in one of your shops. This being an Olympic season, the real SERIOUS ice skating fans will do ANYTHING to keep up with the latest results at competitions. This is why at OUR service, my engineers are continually develtoping countermeasures for every measure that admins try and use to block us. Services like Anonymous Demonic Media (our service), Icecalc, Widge-Data, MediaZone, PPLive, Glacier Omnimedia, Eurosport, and others, were designed with the serious sports fan in mind.

Reply to
Owl Jolsen
Loading thread data ...

You're posting this drivel again, although in a different tact this time.

Any quality firewall will block the users ability to connect to your crappy service and there is nothing that your "engineers" can do about it.

Reply to
Leythos

Not to start another flamewar that will last for months, but PPLive, which the OP mentions, has changed their system again. Now to block it, you will have to block ports all the way out to 42000. I have the Socks server on my network configured to block everything from ports 80 through 42000. To keep PPlive from maxing out your network bandwidth, you will have to create a rule that will block everything from ports 80 through 42000, unless another rule supersedes it for an application you might need. Just one client connected to PPlive will completely max out your bandwidth, though I was able to find out that Comcast, in my area, not was 4041KB download and 381KB upload. To block PPlive, without disrupting anything else, you will need something like Tiny, where one rule can take precedence over another. Tiny and ConSeal have this feature, which makes both products better than a hardware appliance.

Reply to
Charles Newman

And I'll bet you also would never know if an 18 wheeler drove through your living room. Little things like that are easy to miss.

Sure - they can beam it in from the orbiting mind control satellite. Why do you think he's trying to buy futures in tin foil hats on the Mercantile?

Then don't. Just don't post any more obvious false statements about things you know nothing about.

So you still haven't been able to figure out which of your users is trying to connect? You've got a total of four systems, isn't it? Maybe you should ask your expert down at CompUSA about installing a keylogger.

Charles, you should call 1-800-555-1212 and ask the operator for the telephone number for "Geeks On Call". They'll even come out to your house and fix your computers for you - and they'll even spend some (billable) time with you explaining things. Seeing as how you only have a few system, it shouldn't cost you more than a couple of hundred bucks. They'll fix the obviously b0rken configuration you have on your network - you'll be very pleased.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Charles, again, you are playing with Toys and not real firewalls. If you have a real firewall, as most corporate users would, it's going to be easy to block and does not require blocking those ports - which would already be blocked.

You really need to do yourself a favor, get a real firewall or at least buy a book on real firewalls (anything in the last 10 years will be new enough) and learn about what you seem to show no understanding of.

Reply to
Leythos

Well, I'm at a loss. This thread makes my head hurt. It's like one of those Chinese puzzles where you don't know where to even start in unraveling it.

While I have nothing but respect for Kerio & Tiny, Charles is just...out there. Way out there.

Maybe the OP, OwlJolsen, should snap Charles up and set him up in charge of network security at his company. Sounds like a perfect match that would rival anything Monster.com could come up with...

I'm off to wrap my Cisco appliance in aluminum foil to keep the evil alien micro-beams that permeate the Interweb from seeping into my LAN.

Reply to
gray.wizard

The admins know her traffic is not business related, but have not blocked it. Ergo, they are collecting evidence in preparation for termination with cause.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

Damn, used a whole roll and still got Martians all over :-(

Help me Charles, where can I get toyfoil?

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

Did you roll the seams? If you just layered it on, they get around the edges. You need to roll and crimp it.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

I did just layer it on, but I vaccuum-sealed it in a freezer bag using one of those devices like you see on those late night infomercials.

Starving them of oxygen is my last line of defense...

Reply to
gray.wizard

This sounds really cool. Where do I sign up. I searched and searched but couldn't find you! Please give us your web address!

Reply to
Mike

Hasn't that idiot crawled back under his bridge yet?

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.