Alito Confirmation Hearings/North American Figure Skating Championships

We will be covering the Alito Supreme Court nomination hearings starting tommorrow. We have received interest in people who would like to be able to following the hearings from work. My engineers have incorporated the latest in encryption technology and assured me there people will be able to watch and/or listen to the Alito confirmation hearings from work, and the boss will have NO CLUE as to what they are up to. We have also improved the system to use all 65,536 ports, so that if at least one port is open, it will get through. It can even get through firewalls by using a proxy if needed. The big double-whammy will occure on Tuesday, Wendesday and Thurday, when the North American Figure Skating Championships also take place during the same time period. Between people waching the Alito hearings and those watching the North American Figure Skting Championships, it will be network admins WORST NIGHTMARE as they go APESHIT trying to figure out how to stop it. Since we can use al 65,536 ports, 100 percent blocking is NOT possible, unless the ENTIRE network is shut down. The transmissions will be fully encrypted, meaning that Snort, or any other network sniffing device will be USELESS against our service. For all of those that will be watching the Alito hearings, via our service, do enjoy watching them and be confident in knowing your boss will NEVER find out what you are up to.

Reply to
Owl Jolsen
Loading thread data ...

Groan. Are you back?

Go away. The only bandwidth you're wasting, is here.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Okay wiseguy, I found a program, WinControl, that can lock down the proxy settings in Internet Explorer. That would prevent anyone from being able to switch away from the network proxy. Now what are you going to do, wiseass.

If you need to lock down browser settings, WinControl is the way to do it. It can be set to disable the "Internet Options" menu in Internet Explorer, so that no settings, including proxy settings, can be changed. Using WinControl is the only way to lock down the settings in Internet Explorer.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Except that this doesn't work on a properly configured firewall/network.

When is this lamer going to understand that it only works on home networks and on improperly setup corporate networks.

Reply to
Leythos

However, with WinControl, Internet Explorer can be locked down for extra security, and prevent changes to browser settings. WinControl is the only way to lock down browser settings. That adds extra security. I would just like to know how this lamer is going to do now, if shops put WinControl on their workstations.

Reply to
Charles Newman

BS Charles - there are MANY ways to lock down IE, and you don't need to have third party tools to do it in a corporate environment - just showing how little experience you STILL have.

If shops follow norms and use the Windows utilities to lock down their users, they won't be able to edit proxy settings anyway, and if the network is secured at the border it won't get out anyway.

He knows about as much about networking as you do.

Reply to
Leythos

Internet Explorer should not be used as a web-browser at all. So the best settings to "lock" here are proxy 127.0.0.1:9.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

But IE is the only browser whose settings can be locked down. You cannot lock down Netscape, Firefox, or Opera

Reply to
Charles Newman

And you need not to "lock down" a browser.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Charlie manages to prove yet again, that he really doesnt have anything resembling clue.

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

Of course you can lock down Firefox and Netscape, though it's trickier than setting some policies for IE (I suppose that's what WinControl does). Don't know for Opera, but I guess it's possible there as well.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Oh, whoopie. More clueless ramblings from Charles

But that's the only software Charles has been able to learn

I LIKE THAT!!!

That's a great idea, but that also assumes that microsoft complies with networking standards that have only been around since 1983. Has anyone with windoze boxes ever tried to use this service?

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Yes. It "works" (just like the vacuum cleaner in the saying, of course).

;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Charles, you need to learn about things before you spout off. I can do all that you suggest above without third party tools.

WinControl doesn't do anything that you can't do with the existing Windows system, it just makes it easier for those that don't have any brains.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.