VLAN question

Hi,

I made some test on VLAN, which were not really good.

Let's suppose that I have 2 switches, fully ~"busy"... all ports in full activity and with NO VLAN. One of the switch has the access to internet, via a router and modem.

Now, I would like that the port 9 from the two switches, accept a VLAN n# 2. That way, every incoming data, will be tagged with a VLAN 2... and will reach the other switch as VLAN 2. ( Like a Tunnel between the 2 "port 9"

My computer made a internet request on the port 9. Request has the VLAN

2 ... goes to the 2nd switch tagged as VLAN 2...... and I have NO INTERNET ANYMORE !!!!!

- I've read that the reason would be that the router ( at the end of the chain , need to accept VLAN2 - Is that right ? )

What I want to do, is to create a VLAN in in order to avoid collisions on every packet going through the 2 switches ( like a tunnel ). But apparently, as soon as a device is using the VLAN2 tunnel, there is no possible communication.

( I also try to "Tick" the port 9 as VLAN1 and VLAN2, but no success ) If I select at the end VLAN1 and VLAN2 -> I should tag the frame as both VLAN 1 & 2 ? )

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

Switches already go a long way toward avoiding collisions, just by definition. How is creating a VLAN going to help?

What problem are you trying to solve? Slow throughput? Are you already running Gigabit throughout the LAN?

Reply to
Char Jackson

Hi,

Yes, I am running a Gigabit LAN. I made a test and I want ( if this work ) to use a VLAN for VoIP. I need it for 2 reasons :

• my intention was to avoid collision and make sure that the "voice" are from good quality.
  • the other reason is to avoid people logging on phones and other VoIP systems. ( I want to separate from the rest of the network )

So my test was to create a tunnel and nothing else. the problem is that as soon as I create a tunnel with the switches, I need apparently to modify the ethernet card of the asterisk server and to create a VLAN as well.

I would prefer NOT to touch any of my devices but to create tunnels only

device [No VLAN] ----Switch [VLAN 2]--/--[VLAN 2] Switch-----( No VLAN)

--- Asterisk

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding and someone else will jump in to save the day, but I see absolutely no benefit to configuring a VLAN between the two switches. It's just additional overhead, if you ask me. The presence of the switches already means collisions and unauthorized monitoring/logging aren't issues, and I'll bet the switches don't have QOS capabilities so there's no easy way to increase the priority of the VoIP traffic within the LAN. Your gateway router may have QOS functionality, but that would only affect the WAN side, AFAIK.

Reply to
Char Jackson

In my case, one of the benefit is that nobody will try to access their Phones. ( Their computer won't belong to the same network, so no web page access) :-)

But the main goal is to understand how to make tunnels. We plan to use Video systems (Video signage ) , which do multicast and broadcast. So, if I don't want to saturate the entire bandwidth, I need centralize the broadcast...into a VPN That's why I try to install VPN

Reply to
Steve

The phones are web accessible? Interesting. How about putting them on a totally different subnet, fronted by a dedicated NAT router, so that incoming connection attempts are blocked?

VLAN or VPN? What does your hardware support? I guess if it were me and I just wanted to play, I would grab a couple of WRT54GL wireless routers, load them with dd-wrt firmware, and practice setting up different VLANs or VPN's on those. The wireless portion and/or router section can be disabled, effectively leaving you with a quasi managed switch to play with.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I am assuming from your description that internet access is through the router, and that the router is connected to vlan 1 (the default vlan). I order to access the internet from vlan 2, you need to route traffic between vlan 1 and vlan 2. This is possible with a single router if it is capable of supporting vlan trunking, a you would set up a vlan trunk between the router and the switch. If not, you will need a router with two ethernet ports, one connected to a port in vlan 1 and the other on a port in vlan 2. The ports used for the router can be in either switch, or one in each switch, it does not matter as long as the router is connected to both vlans.

Al

Steve wrote:

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
awstiver

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.