Using Jumbo Frames & Gigabit - Actual BPS is slow !

Did a test with Intel Gigabit & 3com 3c2000

Using TCP Client/Server i get to a max 30mbs (Mega Bytes/Sec.)

We transfer images from a host computer to 5 client computers , each image is 1024x1024x8bit what would be the fastest way to transfer this data ?

Reply to
Roni Flieswasser
Loading thread data ...

In article , Roni Flieswasser wrote: :Did a test with Intel Gigabit & 3com 3c2000

:Using TCP Client/Server :i get to a max 30mbs (Mega Bytes/Sec.)

:We transfer images from a host computer :to 5 client computers , each image is 1024x1024x8bit :what would be the fastest way to transfer this data ?

If the same image must go to each computer, you could use multicast.

You did not say anything about which OS you were using, or about the architecture of the systems involved, or about how you measured the throughput. 240 Mbps is not too different from what I would expect from a standard PC running Windows: to go faster, you need a better-designed architecture. I would suggest that you look on tomshardware.com for the article about gigabit networking,

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

So, you are going from filesystem to filesystem (perhaps disc to disc) and getting 30 megabytes per second. What is your local disc performance? If it is around 30 MB/s you have found your bottleneck.

Or, use something that does not involve the filesystem - eg

formatting link
and see if that goes faster than 30 MB/s.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

We are using Dual Xeon 3ghz computers with Windows XP Transfer is done Camera -> DMA -> Memory -> Clients Clients will process the data and dump it.

Reply to
Roni Flieswasser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.