Experiences with Compex CGX3224 24-port switch?

Hi,

I'm currently shopping for a switch to share broadband access between the 20 flats in our building. We have the wiring squared away.

We don't want a LAN per se, but will be using the port-based VLAN feature for security between households.

In the future, we may be able to upgrade to a fiber line. The switch should have slots for optional modules.

Also, as people move and administrators come and go, full web-based management would be a bonus.

The Compex 3224 looks interesting

formatting link
. It has aggregated routing, so we should be able to upgrade to several ADSL lines or have a cable-based backup line. It also has Priority Queuing, which I suppose might be useful. And some security features.

We can get the switch for around DKK 2000 (USD 325 / EUR 265).

Another option is a 3COM Superstack 4400SE which will set us back twice the amount (DKK 4000 / USD 650 / EUR 530) and doesn't seem to have all the features of the Compex.

3COM has the name going for them, though.

Has anyone used the Compex with good or bad results? Or does someone know of benefits to the 3COM that I've overlooked?

This is my first foray into the world of managed switches (the most I've used is SOHO routers), so I'd appreciate any input.

Best, Mads Grøftehaug

PS: I don't want to buy anything from you (except maybe if you're based in Denmark).

Reply to
Mads G
Loading thread data ...

Before you ask... Yes, we have considered the following:

- The ISP will allow sharing outside the household.

- It is legal, as no one is making money off the scheme, nor are we offering access to anyone outside building / owner's association.

- We should get a firewall, probably a ZyXEL ZyWALL 2.

- Wiring is good quality Cat. 5a, installation is overseen by a professional.

- Bandwith for sharing will be 512/2048 or 768/4096 depending on how many people sign up (8-11).

/Mads G

-- [first name last initial@first name last initial.dk]

Reply to
Mads G

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.