Difference Between Collision and Broadcast Domain.

Hello All, I have a little bit comfusion regarding collision domain and broadcast domain. Hope friends you will clarify my doubts.

Query : - Switches Breaks up collision domain on each port ?

My Queries: -

Condition 1: - Suppose we have a 24 port switch and PCs are connected on each port. Then How much collision domain and broadcast domain the switch will have ?

Condition 2: - Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 12 switches connected on every single port of switch1 with PCs connected on every single daughter switch. Then can we say that there would be different collision domain on every port of switch1. Then what about broadcast domains?

Condition 3: - Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 6 switches connected on 6 ports of switch1 with PCs connected on every single daughter switch and PCs directly connected to Switch1. Then How many collision and broadcast domain will there be ?

Reply to
PyramidAsh
Loading thread data ...

In article , PyramidAsh wrote: : I have a little bit comfusion regarding collision domain and :broadcast domain. Hope friends you will clarify my doubts.

:Query : - Switches Breaks up collision domain on each port ?

Yes, unless perchance the switch has been configured to operate as a hub amongst those ports. [I don't think I've ever encountered a switch that allowed that!]

:My Queries: -

:Condition 2: - : Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 12 switches :connected on every single port of switch1 with PCs connected on every :single daughter switch. Then can we say that there would be different :collision domain on every port of switch1. Then what about broadcast :domains?

Urrr, your question phrasing is starting to look like homework assignments...

What you need to know about broadcast domains is that:

a) a switch can allow conversations between different collision domains that form part of the same broadcast domain

b) a router can allow conversations between different broadcast domains

c) VLANs in theory are a layer above broadcast domains, but in practice it is uncommon for them to be used at that level: they are usually used instead as a layer above collision domains. [Cisco's feature that allows VLANs to be above broadcast domains is "VRF", Virtual Router Facility.]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.