Print Server u/s?

I recently purchased a used Trendnet TEW-PS1U wireless USB print server on eBay. When I connect the server to the PC with a LAN cable, nothing happens on the PC (no network connection), and the LAN light on the server doesn't light either.

I know the cable and the PC port are functioning properly. The seller (who I believe is genuine as far as I can tell) tells me it is working as far as he knows, but he had to change the IP address. I have tried resetting the server to its factory default settings.

Should *something* happen when the PC and server are connected, or have I got a duff server please? Is there anything else I can try??

Thanks.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
callmepaul
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like you need a crossover cable.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

You need to be using a crossover cable if you are directly connecting the PC to the prtint server. A regular ethernet cable won't work.

Normall you don't connect the print server directly to the PC, you connect both to a hub or switch. I that case you DO use a regular ethernet cable.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Ah, thanks Sean and William. I had wondered if that was the problem. (I must first directly connect the PC and server in order to configure the wireless connection.) I would have thought the documemntation would have mentioned this small but important detail!

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
callmepaul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.