Network crashes computer

I have a Windows ME Thinkpad notebook that locks up soon after I connect it to a small office network. Internet Explorer and/or Active Desktop crash as soon as I try to surf the net. Oddly enough, the computer works fine on another networks. A different LAN card makes no difference. It appears there's something about the small office network that is triggering the problem. The network uses a D-Link 604 router which is connected to a cable modem. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this problem?

Thank you, Steve Smith

Reply to
Steve Smith
Loading thread data ...

Yes. Windows. ;-)

Do you have an IP address?

Reply to
James Knott

The computer gets an IP address just fine. I can ping the network and the net without problem. It seems the problem only occurs when I try to surf the web while connected to that network. After a few seconds of surfing, the system will hang while waiting for a web page to open. Then Active Desktop will crash and Internet Explorer will stop responding. I've run the repair utility on IE and I've cleaned the registry, done a virus scan and tested the hard drive, etc. I can take the computer to another network and surf the web all day without problems. I understand that Windows ME is unstable, but both LANs are very similar and why would one network cause Windows ME to have problems while the other network does not.

I've considered the possibility that this problem might be caused by an electrical power issue instead of a network problem. This is a laptop, but the battery will not hold a charge more than 5 seconds, so I can't test it on battery alone. Or, could "dirty power" to the router affect the network and cause this problem? The router appears to work fine. There is only one other computer on the network and it usually does fine. Perhaps the LAN wires in the building are crossing florescent lights or picking up interference from something. Could this cause a computer to crash? Is there a way to test this?

Thanks, Steve Smith

Reply to
Steve Smith

I'd suspect a software problem. Nothing on the lan should cause that sort of problem and power problems would affect everything. Can you try a different browser, such as Mozilla?

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.