Network Cabling & Wall Plugs

There's a device called a "punchdown tool". The one that you need for most but not all brands of CAT5 and higher jacks has a "110 blade". In the US the major brand is Harris/Drakon, with Ideal also good. Don't know what brand you'll find Down Under.

Reply to
J. Clarke
Loading thread data ...

Hi

I've run some cat5 down my house and I need to put rj45 wall plugs on each end... I have the plugs, but it's incredibly difficult to attach the cable to them... They're a pretty standard plug... The cable goes into two plastic bits, where some metal fins pierce the plastic and connect with the wires.... Is there a trick or something to connecting these? Seems a lot of force is required to push the wires into place... They seems to break often...

TIA

- David Angelovich

Reply to
David Angelovich

Reply to
David Angelovich

Hi David,

They actually call "wall plugs" jacks as to avoid confusion with plugs that you have on the ends of a patch cord. Anyways, as John suggested here you might need a punch-down tool. One other possibility would be to look at the dust cap that came with the jack. Many manufacturers have the dust cap designed so that it acts like some sort of push-down tool when you press on it or squeeze with pliers. It has ribs protruding from the cap exactly where your conductors would be, so, when you press on the cap, it pushes wires in place. Check yours out, maybe you'll get lucky and your dust caps can be used as such tool.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.