Implementing Redundancy - HSRP

Hi,

I've been searching for a while now and have come to the conclusion that what I want to do may be impossible. So, as a last resort I'm posting my 2 part problem here. Any and all suggestions, advice, or releted reference material welcome and appreciated.

Ok... 1) We have a T1 that runs directly from the demarc into a WIC daughter card (S0/0) on a cisco 2600 series router. Basically, how do I add a second router using HSRP into the equation? Not "How" as in HSRP implementation, but how as Serial connections. The limitation is that there can be no secondary connection type. I'm stuck trying to do this with one T1. Physically impossible?

2) The second issue is a second location. The configuration that I have been tasked with involves each location operating independantly to the internet and with a point-to-point T1 for "back office" purposes. I also have to find a way to make the PTP a failover link in case either T1 link fails. The HSRP would be implemented on all routers in this configuration as well. I had been debating on the notion that I could run 2 WICs in each router and limit the configuration to two routers in each location, but given the PTP I think it would be best to keep it seperate and have 4 routers with a firewall between the inet and PTP. But how will that impact any failover traffic? We have a single provider but one T1 will be backhauled into another city. I guess I'm looking at going from a nice simple configuration into a BGP/(OSPF/RIP) nightmare (read: intense learning curve)? Or am i making this needlessly complex?

best regards,

-bj

Reply to
Blackjack
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.