hsrp

Just wondering. Can you run hsrp between 2 routers when one router is on the local network and the other is the isp's router. Thanks

Reply to
mmark751969
Loading thread data ...

What? Better explanation please or some kind of ascii diagram might help.

Reply to
Yandy Ramirez

HSRP requires two routers that have logical interfaces in the same network. Provided both of the routers you are listing have interfaces in the network where you want HSRP, the answer is yes. If the ISP router is upstream, then the answer is no.

Reply to
Trendkill

Additionally and ideally, both routers should also have complete upstream functionality and routing. That way if one fails, the other has the exact same paths in and out for full network functionality. If you have hsrp, and .1 fails over to a second router that doesn't have full connectivity, or still relies on the primary router for upstream connectivity, then it defeats the purpose of the having hsrp except for LAN traffic.

Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks. In the network i am in currently though. I have a 7206 that has one gige interface connected to a switch. The gige interface has the following configuration

ip address 53.141.140.1 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto media-type rj45 negotiation auto standby 1 ip 53.141.140.1 standby 1 priority 20 standby 1 preempt

=2E The 7206 is then connected to an edge switch that has a 100Mb fiber feed to the provider. It looks like this interface is set to do hsrp with preemption to the isp's switch. It looks like from what you were saying this cannot be possible. Is that correct? Having another router running hsrp in standby group 1 that is not part of the local network, cannot be done. Thanks

Reply to
mmark751969

Well, it can't be legit since your IP address on that interface is the same as the HSRP address. Second, if that router were to drop, then how is the upstream router even going to be available to respond to .

1, even if they were on the same network. Unless there is something I am missing, this does not sound like a proper solution. For proper HSRP, you would need to have two routers, each with an interface in the same LAN, with say .2 and .3 as their physical addresses, and .1 as the hsrp address. To work properly, all devices should be be connected to switches with connections to each of the routers. Or connections to separate switches that each have connections to a different router. I would need a basic logical diagram, (isp router isp switch your router) with some IP addresses, and can probably answer a little clearer.
Reply to
Trendkill

Hello mmark751969,

No you can not.

HSRP is used when the two routers are configured indentically. (Or some parts of it, depending on what you want to do.)

I can not see what you are trying to accomplish here.

Reply to
Helge Olav Helgesen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.