Route Maps with HSRP

Has anyone ever used route-maps that set the next hop to an HSRP address of another router (Primary) where the router setting the nexthop is in the that particular HSRP group?

I am trying to provide redundancy for 2 different Internet circuits. I have an OC-router that I want all of my outbound traffic to go through and a T1 on another router that I want to make my Inbound services go through.

Problem is that my ISP's won't play nice with BGP so I have put HSRP on the 2 routers with 2 redundancy groups on each interface. OC-3 router FA 0/1 has 209.250.128.1 as the primary HSRP address in standby group 1 where the t1 route has fa0/0 as 209.250.128.1 as the secondary HSRP address the actual addresses of the interfaces are .254 and .253 respectively. OC-3 has a standby group 2 secondary address of .250 and the t1 has the primary. T1 router (based on the fact that ISP's won't play together in the sandbox) is natting the 209 addresses to the internet.

I have natted all inbound services from the T1 router to the firewall and because .1 (HSRP primary OC-3) is the default gateway, I have used a route-map to set the next-hop address for any mail, citrix, http to .250 (HSRP Primary address - T1). This configuration works flawlessly.

When I fail the OC-3 router all traffic passes seamlessly through the t1 router. All inbound services work well. When I fail the T1 router. I lose all inbound services based on the fact the the 0C-3 router assumes primary HSRP for .250 and the route-map is setting the next-hop as it own IP address (HSRP address).

Has anyone ever done anything like this? If so, is there a way to get around the problem?

Thanks,

Phil

Reply to
Phil
Loading thread data ...

• * * details snipped

Yes. Set next-hop to an HSRP IP does not work if the router is the active router for that IP. For the policy routing, you can use the real IP of the peer and the "next-hop verify-reachability" feature in your route map instead, just read all the caveats first.

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.