Auto nego on 1000-X

Hello - I have a device that is operating in GBIC mode i.e it has a 1000 Copper interface and 1000-X Fiber Single mode interface.

I have connected the 1000-X Fiber interface to a Tester's1000-X Fiber interface. On powering up the system and running data, it goes thro.But if I pull out the Fiber link and connect it back data does not go thro. I think it is related to the Auto nego process between the two device and the Tester. Because if I restart the Auto Nego on the Tester for the 1000-X Fiber Port Manually the data goes through.

does Auto nego on Fiber 1000-X also advertise speed or only FDX and Flow control? Could that create such a scenario ?

any comments on this are welcome

Kott

Reply to
Kott
Loading thread data ...

As far as I am aware, Gig connections will only run properly at

1000-FORCED speeds not AUTO. Try forcing the Device with 1000-FULL duples and also the switch side and see what happens.

Reply to
Mike Farnham

Ironic - as far as I'm aware, gig must always run AUTO :)

My first guess would be that the NIC/driver combination are not properly handling a link disconnect/connect sequence at one end or the other. That you get things going fine at first suggests that at at least one time, the autoneg worked correctly.

You might try the same disconnect/connect sequence with a "proper" gigabit switch.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

This is true.

Reply to
chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.