ethernet router

I keep searching all over google trying to find what I am looking for but to no avail. Hopefully somebody in this group can help, or direct me to someone who can.

Here is what I want to do. I am helping out a library who is upgrading to a T1 line. They will have a CISCO router that will have an ethernet port to connect from. My question is this. They don't have a server or anything as of yet so I'm looking for a reasonable solution that would provide NAT firewall and DHCP so they can put a couple of extra computers on the internet. I'm guessing I can't just use a broadband router (I have set up a ton of those for people) because it doesn't truly do 10/100 on the WAN port. My preference would be to set up a Linux server to take care of it, but they aren't ready for that yet.

Thanks for any input and thoughts,

Tracy

Reply to
Tracy
Loading thread data ...

A T1 line for just one computer? That's the implication of what you wrote. I suspect there is other equipment in the library and adding a router or (especially) another DHCP server can wrek havoc and get someone fired, maybe not you.

To address your question, any home DSL router+switch I've seen does

10/100 on the WAN side if it's got the typical 5 RJ45 jacks. If it's just gone a phone jack and one ethernet jack then I call it a "dsl modem" and it doesn't do DHCP or NAT.
Reply to
Al Dykes

Most Cisco routers are configureable to do NAT and I belive DHCP. A T1 line is only 1.55mbit so 10mbit ethernet is fine. These days ADSL is far better value than a T1, you only have at most 1/2 the upstream bandwidth, but the down stream bandwidth can be much higher. But this all depends on where you are located. Here for the price of just the T1 physical connection without internet cost as much as 3 ADSL connections with internet service.

Which Cisco router and what version of IOS is it running?

A Cisco router is just a specialized over priced unix box.

Tracy wrote:

Reply to
Garak

They currently have a 56K line into a CICSO router. They are upgrading say they can add the other 3 computers to it. Since they are a Library, they don't have many choices on what they can use and using DSL is not recommended by the Lincoln Trails Library system they use.

The CISC router does not currently do NAT and does not do DHCP nor will they configure it that way and support it (I don't know why).

What you are saying is my DLINK DI-624 would work fine if I just set it to a static address on the WAN port and I would have wireless and wired. The reading I did suggested that it wasn't truly a 10/100 port for the WAN side and also wouldn't work because it is designed to me attached to a modem. Maybe I read to much into it. Selecting a static IP (which they have) and installing one of these router would be easy.

Reply to
Tracy

I already posted to the last message, but they are limited on what they can use because of the Library system they use. They are running a 1700 series Cisco router. Don't know the IOS, haven't actually looked at it yet. I am also sure you are right the router could do NAT and DHCP, but it does not come configured that way and is not supported that way through the ISP. Since I don't want to hook up something without a firewall, it is my job to add one.

Reply to
Tracy

I have known schools to rent the wire pairs from the phone company as point to point links and use them as T1. That works for a few miles (I forget the exact distance.) Much cheaper than using the phone network for T1. That might also work for a library system.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

The server facility and you, the library, have to be connected to the same central office. These are called "alarm circuits" or "dry copper" and the phone company is getting very tight about handing these out for data use.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Yes and yes. For a public school system or public library, though, you might have a fair chance. OP said it was a library.

And yes, it would be to the same central office, so the length needs to be to that CO and from there to the other site.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

And a Porche 911 is "just" a specialized over-priced Volkswagen.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

[...]

Most of the modern ones do, and even if they don't, the CISCO router should connect at whatever WAN speed you have available. You don't need much for a single T1...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Yes, but I'd use a Linksys WRT54G, as I'll never buy another Duh-Link product again, but the idea is the same.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

On 01.03.2006 19:19 Walter Roberson wrote

Porsche and Volkswagen are completely different companies, though Porsche menawhile is the 2nd largest shareholder of Volkswagen ...

If Cisco boxes and especially the software were as mature and as powerfull as a Porsche that would be heaven on earth :-)

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

That sounds like good news. If I just set it up as a static ip, it should work then and I'll have a firewall without needing a server yet. Thanks

Reply to
Tracy

If the internet connection is a T1, why would you want anything better than 10mbit ethernet on the router wan port?

Standard broadband router will do just fine.

Reply to
snertking

It may depend on the Software Feture Set purchased however most Cisco Routers do DHCP server duty. All do NAT, and at extra cost you can have a firewall too.

One KEY difference between a T1 and ADSL (or dry copper?) is the Service Level Agreement. In the UK at least ADSL has _none_.

I don't know exactly, but T1 (well E1) usually has some max Time to Fix declared.

In a business situation that can be critical, don't know about a library:)

Reply to
anybody43

You get "business" or "residential" DSL. Business DSL cost more but there is a contract that promises some max time to repair. You will also be able to get to a technical person on the phone that may be competent, much quicker.

You can't place an order for residential DSL from a business location, and you can't order *any* services from a business unless you are the person on record as being responsible for the phone bill.

T1 is alwasy business grade and Telco has remote diagnostics and repair capability that can even detect and fix marginal problems before you are awaye of them.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Hi

As people have said the Cisco routers can do DHCP and NAT I'ts a fairly trivial setup is there a cisco academey near by you could ask the instructor if maybe one of the 2nd year students would help out for real world experiance

What wan interfaces does it have ? the 1700's are modular so you might need a new t1 or a smartserial module to conect to the CSU/DSU

Id get a cisco switch maybe a second hand 10 mbs one for the other pc's

Reply to
developers

Knowing how to do it doesn't help if the ISP has put a password on it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Google "Cisco password recovery".

best regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Schaaf

As far as I know, Cisco, and companies making over priced unix boxen, are also different. And Cisco isn't even mentioned as a possible shareholder of SCO...

I'd gladly have them as mature and powerful as any Volkswagen, thank you.

best regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Schaaf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.