Power supply for Linksys Wireless Router

Its a WRt54G v3.1 wireless router.

Got it at an auction, sans the power supply.

Can anyone confirm what the supply rating is? 5V, 12V. amps?

I have plenty of wall warts, but don't know which is the right one.

Much obliged for any help.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

My version 2 has a 12VDC 1000ma (1A)

Reply to
Pen

Good router. I suggest you install DD-WRT v24 RC6.2 firmware:

Here's my WRT54G v3 in my palatial office:

The low uptime is because I unplugged it to measure the power plug.

If your v3 acts dead, don't panic. Setup a computah with a static IP address of 192.168.1.11. Punch and hold the reset button on the WRT54G for at least 30 seconds. Wait nother 30 seconds for it to reload the settings. Then unplug the power.

Now start pinging the router with: ping -t 192.168.1.1 The -t means ping continuously. When you plug the power back into the WRT54G, you should see ping returns after about 15 seconds. If you get ping returns, then the router is alive and only needs a new flash. Find the "de-brick" routine, using TFTP, and you should have a working router when thru.

My WRT54G V3 has a 12V 1000ma power supply. The actual current drain is about 400-500ma. The connector looks like a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug. However, I'm guessing from my pocket ruler as I don't have my drill index handy to verify the center hole size.

Incidentally, some (not all) of the WRT54G models have wide range switching regulators inside. These can run on anything from about

4VDC to perhaps 18VDC. This is a similar BEFW11S4 running on 4V from my bench supply on my messy desk:

I think anything from v2 thru v4 inclusive have the good switcher (including your v3). However, I really screwed up with the v1.1, where only some boards will work, while others will smoke the regulator. Those are made to run on 5VDC. With v1.0 and v1.1, use a

5V 2A power supply. No clue on v5 thru v8 as I haven't looked inside or tinkered with them.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Much obliged to everyone for your help. I am sure I have more than a few PSs laying around that can do the job.

Especially thanks for the info on upgrading and how to work around the anomalies.

Looking forward to get this all set up.

Thanks a lot,

John

Reply to
John

Just a minor addition. I keep finding WRT54G/GS routers in thrift shops and garage sales. I think I've bought something like 5 of them so far. I also find them at the municipal dump. The situation is always similar. Either the 12V power supply overheats and dies, or they tried to flash the firmware which "bricks" the router. Instead to trying the easy to find recovery procedures, they just toss the router, but keep the wall wart (power supply). I get the router, which acts dead. I re-flash the firmware, and it's back to working.

Incidentally, the most common way to "brick" the router is due to impatience. Apparently, the actual flash loading of the firmware ocurrs AFTER the upload. However, most flash loaders (TFTP) and the web based interface, will claim that the flash is done well before it's done loading. When you flash the router, and it says it's done, do NOTHING. Walk away, get a cup of tea, read a magazine, but don't touch the keyboard for at least 1-2 minutes. On the really old versions (v1, v1.1) it can take perhaps 3 minutes. Patience is a good thing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.