Re: Phone Line on cat 5 10-Base-T Ethernet?

I'm a little bit new to the actual specifications of hardware

> operations so this is something I wanted to ask because it seems to be > the case according to what I've read. (I've been primarily a software > person myself.) > I understand that standard 4-pair wire (cat 5) running data at 10mbps > does not use the blue/white and blue pair (wires 4 and 5), which is > typically the standard color for running a phone line along an > ethernet wire.

Correct.

If this is correct, is it possible to run a standard analog phone line > over cat 5 ethernet sold in hardware or computer stores, simply by > connecting to the blue & blue/white pair and using that? Since the > wire is typically twisted pairs, I had the impression this was > possible without crosstalk between either the ethernet and the phone > line.

Yup. This is *expressly* part of the original design.

Also, if the network cards being used are of the typical 10/100 type > that sell these days for $20 or less, or are included on the > motherboard of the user's PC, does that mean you can't do this because > 100mbps will use all 4 pairs, or is it that you can run 100mbps > service over the other pairs and it won't really use the inner > blue-blue/white pair?

Nope. Standard 100mbit Ethernet uses the same 4 wires, and those four wires only. There are some early 'non-standard' 100mbit implementations that did use all 8 wires. Most common was one with 'VG' as the last part of the protocol name. Also, beware of "100Base-TX". that trailing 'X' is signficant.

The things I have read indicate there are two types of 100mbps > service, 100Base-T, 100Base-T4 and 100Base-T8, where 100base-T8 uses > all of the wires in a 4-pair ethernet cable, and 100-Base-T4 uses only > two of the pairs. How would I know which is being used in ordinary > connections?

Virtually everything 100mbit on the market (in recent history) uses only the standard 4 wires that plain old 10mbit Ethernet uses

Note: _gigabit_ Ethernet, aka "1000mbit Ethernet" is a different story. it _does_ use all 8 wires.

As far as I know anything that advertises itself as 10/100mbit Ethernet will use only the 4 wires used by 10mbit.

This also seems to imply that the other pair (wires 7 & 8) is also > available for use as phone service, conceivably implying you can run > 100mbps ethernet and two analog phone lines on the same 4-pair cable > without problems or interference. I'd like to know if this is the > case.

Yes.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.