WS-X6148-FE-SFP with SUP720

Hi all,

for a customer I configure a Cat 6509. Also there is the requirement for 100base fx uplinks to use a WS-X6148-FE-SFP modul. I'm not very familar with the 65xx architecture. I heard this makes no sense to use this modul because it brings the backplane speed down....!? Is this right ? And if so, what is the recommended solution to use SUP720 together with classic interface module class....

thanks

dennis

Reply to
dennis
Loading thread data ...

Certainly in your case the 6148 will not affect fabric based cards.

The 6148 conects to the 32G bps (really 16 but marketing beat engineering) and FAbric cards connect to the fabric backplane and run at fabric speeds. No interoperability issues at all.

Reply to
Bod43

thanks.... so If I really understand I can use this modul without a influence the performance of any other card !?

greetz dennis

Reply to
dennis

The previous poster is incorrect. The bus on a 6500 runs at the maximum speed of the slowest card. If you have a card that only uses the 32Gps bus, than ALL cards use 32Gbps bus. The fabric is used only if ALL cards in the chassis are fabric enabled.

61xx and 63xx cards are NOT fabric enabled, 65xx and 67xx cards are fabric enabled.

An alternative is to use the WS-X6724-SFP with FastEthernet SFP's. You need to check which versions of code will support the FE SFP's since they are relatively new.

Also 32Gbps is very fast, Unless your customer's 6500 is populated with lots of Gig ports that all run more than 10% sustained utilization, I would not worry what speed the bus is running at.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Hmmm.

formatting link
That is not what it seems to say here.

This is for Cat OS and is the first document I found,

There is a change in behaviour when non fabric cards are added but it does not look to be like a fallback to the lowest speed.

The 32G bus is by the way really a 16G bus by an reasonable measure.

Reply to
Bod43

You are correct! I got confused with the switching modes, compact vs. truncated. Compact can only be used if all cards are fabric enabled, otherwise you need to use truncated.

Sorry for the misinformation, and I'm happy there was someone out there to set me straight!

Scott

formatting link

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.