wireless survey

Hi All,

I was curious about how many of you have gotten site surveys for your wlan before deploying your cisco aironet devices. i was also curious as to what the cost was. i am asking as I could potentially have lots of new wlan sites and was wondering if it would be more cost effective to get the equipment and do them myself. I am not sure what a survey entails, so this is just something i was thinking about.

TIA, R

Reply to
rhltechie
Loading thread data ...

If you're going to be deploying more than one AP, you should ALWAYS do a site survey of some sort, whether that's just you with a laptop walking around, running pings and looking at some little signal strength indicator, or whether it's some kind of professional service using expensive purpose-built equipment.

On the low end, you could just get something like a Cisco CB21AG card, stick it in your laptop, and run the free Cisco Aironet Site Survey Utility ...

formatting link
formatting link
Whether you need a professional site survey or do it yourself depends on the size of your project and the performance you require (not to mention your budget.) For example, if you are doing VoIP over wireless and your handsets are roaming throught a building, you'd BETTER do a good site survey. Here's an example of what to do in that case:

formatting link
Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Thanks for the reply Aaron. The upcoming projects would not be passing VoIP traffic, but it is a large scale project, like a shopping center of some sorts. The AirMagnet stuff on cisco's site is cool, but as i understand it this is after you have purchased equipment and have an AP to talk to, and are worried about where to place it. is this correct? I suppose this is the benefit of paying someone to come in and they would have all the equipment already, correct?

thanks again for the reply,

R
Reply to
rhltechie

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

Before paying much money for a good site survey, you should define some criteria.

What kind of devices, what performance requirements, redundancy and availability. And also keep different material filling up the room in mind. So you may have completely different reflections/absorbtion of

2.4GHz microwaves.

I can do a professional site survey using the same software in the same building with very different results. Only difference is the card/antenna in the client. Whatever is paid for ;-)

Nonetheless a good site survey also reveals good positioning and saves a lot of APs and the related costs of cabling and mounting.

Reply to
Uli Link

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.