spanning tree blocked ports in MIB?

Hello,

Have to attend a meeting and comment on displaying spanning tree blocked ports via a network management system using snmp gets.

The kit is cisco (not quite sure which) and there are VLANs, VRFs, MPLS implemented. with RSTP and MST. Actually I am not quite sure what Multiple Spanning Tree means, cos if you have lotsa VPNs I suppose you have lotsa STP and/or RSTP as well.

Sooo, I was wondering why one might want to identify blocked ports in a (R)STP environment? And if blocked ports are useful to know about maybe we need to know about root ports as well?

But my main question is can someone identify a MIB that has blocked ports for (R)STP within or a URL to checkout myself (Fine Manuals read wit enthusiasm!). Or identify a case when blocked ports are not visible as I suppose MPLS must hide a few things now and again.

Thanx in advance for your help!

Ton

Reply to
ton de w
Loading thread data ...

Hi I only just skimmed your question: stp & rstp are there to block ports when you have multiple links going from and to the same place. it decides which is the better link and uses that and shuts down the other as to avoid split horizon.

you can run 'sh span ?' on the switch to see what commands you have available.. it varys switch to switch. there are listening, forwarding and blocking states.

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Thanx flamer! How can I identify the blocked ports using SNMP?

Reply to
ton de w

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.