Who is altering Subject lines to begin with Antw:

Whomever is altering the subject line, could they please discontineu the practice.

Reply to
Merv
Loading thread data ...

What I gather is that it is the German equivilent to Re: but because our newsreading software doesn't know that, it does not automatically hide it.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Yes you are true! Antw. is the german equivalent to re: and it was done automatically by my groupwise mail-software. So I will now try everytime to remove it manually :-) Or better I just leave this newsgroup cause I seem to be not very welcome. Also my one and only question is answered by noone while I´m answering a bunch of questions :-(

Reply to
Horst Wagner

Horst,

The only question that I can find from you in comp.dcom.sys.cisco is

"Antw: t.37 onramp on directly attached to the routers fxs-port"

formatting link
In that message you asked,

Hi folks is there really no one in the world having this running? I'm now asking for it in a bunch of forums and nobody answers!

I searched googlegroups, and that is the only occurance of "t.37" in connection with your first name, "Horst", and the previous occurance of "t.37" in connection with "onramp" from anyone was July 2004.

So, for whatever reason, we cannot see those previous times that you asked, and your question (which was posted only about 36 hours before the post I am replying to) did not have enough information in it for us to understand what you are trying to do.

When you say "fxs-port" I am not sure whether you are referring to a fibre (FX) interface, or to something to do with Fax. I also cannot tell what platform or what software version you are using.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Horst Wagner schrieb:

Hm. Horst, you are very welcome, and I did appreciate your answers to my questions very much.

*If* I can help you (didn't see your question), I would be glad. But I think it should not be that difficult to use a newsclient which is able of the minimum aspects of usability and politeness. At least it's all about community.

Christian

Reply to
Christian Lox

Why should we use Re:? English is only spoken as native language by less than 6% or so of the world's population according to this list i found: Mandarin Chinese (836 million) Hindi (333 million) Spanish (332 million) English (322 million) Bengali (189 million) Arabic (186 million) Russian (170 million) Portuguese (170 million) Japanese (125 million) German (98 million) French (72 million)

I suggest we use the Chinese equivalent! ;-)

Pirke

Reply to
Pirke

According to an article on Saturday in "The Globe And Mail" ("Canada's National Newspaper"), English is the second language of 40% of the world's population, so English is (more or less) understandable to more people than any other language.

Doesn't Chinese have different ones depending upon the relative statuses of the people involved? ;-)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

More importantly, the software is removing the header support lines that let normal newsgroup software thread the postings. Its like it makes new discussion topics half way through a response list out of the blue.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Perhaps he's referring to a POTS Foreign eXchange Subscriber interface.

Does make it tough to offer any advice :-)

Reply to
Rod Dorman

So have the software display it in their native language for them. There's nothing that requires newsreaders to display headers exactly as they appear on the wire. It's already common to translate the time to the local timezone, so why can't a German newsreader display a header that arrives as:

Subject: Re: whatever

as:

Thema: Antw: whatever

But when it sends replies back out, it should use the standard format, so that it will look right for everyone else (their newsreaders can translate it to their local language if they want).

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Barry Margolin a écrit :

As required by RFC 2822 section 3.3

"The date and time-of-day SHOULD express local time."

A german newsreader could do whatever it wants including changing "Re:" to "Antw:" (or "Aw:" as some do), or not changing it at all, as the "subject:" field is a unstructured field in the RFC.

Section 3.6.5 only suggest to use the latin (not english!) word "Re:" to indicate that it is a reply, but it is by no means a requirement.

The only standard that applies at this point is paragraph 2.10 of RFC

793 whic states "be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others.", or in other words, "Can't we all get along?"
Reply to
Francois Labreque

Here is a much better article on FXS with a video:

formatting link

Reply to
ghanem_jalal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.