What is "extendable" in IP NAT ?

Hello what is the meaning of the word "extended" in a standard PAT ?

If I forward the port 80 (for example) to a my intenal server, what is the meaning to put the word extendable at the end of the line?

Thank you

Reply to
Elia Spadoni
Loading thread data ...

no one knows?

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

formatting link

Reply to
Sam

I have read but it is totally unclear for me

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

Basically it enables the router to "extend" the translation to 2 different ports. It was mostly for FTP with port 20 being control and

21 being data.

If you are FTP'd in somewhere and are uploading data, you are using port 21. If you do an LS or CD, the router is going to translate that as a control command and will extend the existing translation (the one on port 21) over to port 20. So in essense, your single connection into that router is getting split to 2 different ports.

Make sense?

Reply to
Sam

Normally you're not allowed to have multiple static translations with the same local address. When that address sends out, the router doesn't know which translation to use.

If you specify "extendable", it will look in the route-map and select the translation that works with the route-map.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

The FTP control channel uses port 21. Port 20 is used for the data channel if you use Active mode.

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you wouldn't enable this for the few times it's needed, ie. FTP? Why wouldn't it just be a default?

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.