What are the two parts of memory mean, please?

Hello. The output "show version" of command includes a line about the system memory amount. The format looks like "12345 K / 123 K". I know the total size of memory consists of the two numbers on both sides, but what are represented by them respectively, please? Thank you.

Reply to
worldwidestar
Loading thread data ...

RAM and flash.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Not true.

Its main memory and I/O buffer memory. You can change the split with the 'memory-size iomem xx' command on the platforms that have unified memory and I/O memory. More of the higher-end platforms tend to split them off to different SIMMs altogether, so you can't change the split on them.

Flash is shown on a different line.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

main-memory/IO-memory

The memory is partitioned on startup and the amounts can be changed in the config.

The I/O mem is I understand used for interface packet buffers and possibly other purposes. I understand that these buffers are allocated from the I/O pool at system startup too.

Reply to
Bod43

Hello, Mr.Roberson.

For example, .=2E. ... Cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x101) with 27648K/5120K bytes of memory .=2E. ...

I don't think the 5120K is the size of flash. I know the total size of RAM is 27648K + 5120K =3D 32768K, but I have no idea about what the 27648K and 5120K mean. It seems that the whole RAM is divided into two parts for different use.

Reply to
worldwidestar

I understand now, thank everbody!

Reply to
worldwidestar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.