%SPANTREE-5-TOPOTRAP: Topology Change Trap for vlan 3 What does this mean?

Currently I have about 15 Cisco 2960 switches. They are all configured the same. For some reason one of our switch is logging "%SPANTREE-5-TOPOTRAP: Topology Change Trap for vlan 3" every time an interface goes up and down. I've open up a TAC, TAC said it was nothing to worry about. I am still wondering why this one particular switch is the only one that is logging this event.

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
sodethman
Loading thread data ...

This means that a TCN (topology change notification) is being sent out. This will happen when an interface changes state.

To stop this from happening you can set the interface to portfast enable (you must be ensure that you do this on a case by case basis, essentially you should only do this for servers and not links to other switches)

Depending on the radius of your campus network you can ignore the traps.

However it would be advisable for you to elect a spanning-tree root and secondary using the priority command, and also turn on portfast for servers.

Reply to
genki

Thank you for the Explanation Genki, Can you tell me why only one of my switches is logging this event? They are all configured the same, i've went through and looked at the Spanning-tree status they are all the same, but only one switch out of 15 is logging this event.

genki wrote:

Reply to
sodethman

are they all the same model of switch ?

what software is the one that is generating the message running versus the others ?

Reply to
Merv

Merv,

They are the same model, all of them are running the same code

12.2(25r)FX. c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-25.FX.b> are they all the same model of switch ?
Reply to
sodethman

you can do use the show spantree stat command to see further info but my guess is that you have a port going up/down on the switch.

Darren

Reply to
genki

I also notice that when I do a show log, this switch is the only switch that give me this for every port.

10w3d: STP SW: RX ISR: 0100.0ccc.cccd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
sodethman

This may be off beam because whilst I'm familiar with IOS I don't know the 2960. It sounds like you may have different logging levels set on each switch. Is the first part of "show log", the part below, from a

2950, the same for all of them?

switch>sh log Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 0 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns) Console logging: disabled Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged Buffer logging: level debugging, 220 messages logged Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes) File logging: disabled Trap logging: level informational, 224 message lines logged --More--

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Looks like you have some debug(s) enabled.

sh deb

undeb all

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.