SHOW PROCESSES MEMORY

Hi all, is normal to have this value for a router?

It seems that "I/O Pool allocation", "PCI pool allocation" and "Fast pool allocation" is near 100%.

It is normal?

12406#sh processes memory Processor Pool Total: 875570560 Used: 45983336 Free: 829587224 I/O Pool Total: 33554432 Used: 17453024 Free: 16101408 PCI Pool Total: 33554432 Used: 33401680 Free: 152752 Fast Pool Total: 131072 Used: 129808 Free: 1264

Thank you and Best regards

Sergio

Reply to
sergio
Loading thread data ...

"sergio" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Hi,

I suppose you have a modular router as a c7200 with NPE-300 ( 32MB fixed I/O )...

Both I/O and PCI memory pools are used in the "switching process". ( very simplified view indeed ) Fast pool is used for speed critical tasks, and when it is depleted processor I/O is used instead.

Are you experimenting packet drops and/or interface throttles? Are those values persistent or present only during "heavy duty bursts"?

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

messaggionews: snipped-for-privacy@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Hi Gabriele,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using a Cisco 12406, i don't have the possibility to run other show commands.

The Router manage very low traffic, near to zero traffic.

So, i don't if these value can be a normal value.

BR

Sergio

Reply to
sergio

"sergio" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Hi,

Unfortunately I've never worked on a 12000, so I can't tell you if that values are normal for the RP; I know its architecture a bit. All "data" traffic is managed via dCEF by the Line Cards themself, exchanged by them without interrupting and using the RP CPU and memory. Control traffic is punted to the RP, and consumes memory and I/O. ( so unless you are under DoS ( use CoPP to mitigate ) I do not think I/O memory should be that low ( this is a personal statement, possibly not correct ). Interfaces like ethernet on RP should not be used for "data" traffic; latest IOS drop this kind of traffic between Line cards and RP interfaces.

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.