Vsat and HQ hub router

Hi!

I am trying to learn more about using VSAT as a WAN link.

I would like to set up a VSAT hub and spoke network topology.

The scenario is that I have a router at HQ office which needs to connect to 5 or more remote branch sites directly via VSAT.

In this scenario, what is the usual interface used at the HQ router? Is it V.35? Does this mean that if I am connecting to 5 remote branch sites using VSAT, then I need to get 5 V.35 interfaces for the HQ router? This does not seem to be very scalable if I need to add more remote branch sites in future...

Or will I be able to use only one serial interface to connect to the VSAT link at the HQ router to reach 5 remote sites? If yes, what kind of router interface should be used?

Some sample interface configuration for the hub router would be very helpful here.

Thanks for any pointers and help!

Best regards!

stonewealth

Reply to
sekchye
Loading thread data ...

Stonewealth,

It wuld be great if you could specify the technolgy going to be used for VSATs. PAMA/TDMA. if it is PAMA with seperate RF modems, the you will require seperate interfaces for each link.

So be specific on the VSAT technolgy.

Regards, Elvis Cardin

Reply to
Elvis Cardin

I'm with Elvis, some comments below, regards tom

ethernet, but depends on the make/model I suppose.

no: out of the hub, you'll just have IP wont you ? ethernet ? are you talking just data ? or bearer services ?

This does not seem to be very scalable if I need to add more

it is if you think of the hub as a router, and not as a hardware device

shouldn't apply to your hub. What hub is it ?

the average product data sheet for manufacturers should help here

Reply to
tom

Are you looking at satellite broadband and VPN ?

Reply to
Chris O

Take care that your applications are Latency Friendly.

e.g. Windows file access will I imagine be pretty bad but a bit of e-mail uploading and downloading will be great. Web access somewhere in between.

In addition to the speed of light delay there will very likely be a significant Encoding Delay. e.g. For ADSL the absolute minimum one way encoding delay

4ms and typical real works installations have a RTT of 20ms. This is due to the use of RSS? (Reed Solomon...?) error correcting encoding which uses quite big blocks. I don't know however I would think that the satellite comms might use a similar technique.

I had been puzzled to note that with data over 3G the minimum RTT was either ~300ms or ~600ms until I read about the encoding techniques that might be used.

Good luck.

Reply to
anybody43

Hi!

thanks for the everybody's reply. I was at a project site without Internet for a few weeks, so I apologise for my late response.

The VSAT will operate in SCPC mode. TDMA or CDMA technology will be used.

The VSAT hub router will be transporting IP data packet.

We are looking at more of satelite VPN setup here.

So for this case, what kind of router interface should I use to connect at the VSAT hub site.This hub site will use a star link to connect to about 10 remote VSAT sites.

Will one fast ethernet interface with a class C IP address subnet be correct solution?

Any good pointers or links to website to learn more about the VSAT IP network setup will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for every> > I am trying to learn more about using VSAT as a WAN link.

Reply to
stonewealth

Are you using satellite modems which perform TCP acceleration ? If so you will find that running an IPSec VPN with standard routers will interfere with the acceleration mechanism. There are methods that can help - try a Google on:- IPSec VPN satellite see

formatting link
this is going a bit OT for a Cisco forum

Reply to
Chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.