VRF definition

Hi, Can anybody let me know what does VRF mean and how it works. Where can I find a very good document for it. Thanks!

Reply to
Ranga
Loading thread data ...

VRF definition from

formatting link
Virtual Routing and Forwarding

Virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) is a technology included in IP (Internet Protocol) network routers that allows multiple instances of a routing table to exist in a router and work simultaneously. This increases functionality by allowing network paths to be segmented without using multiple devices. Because traffic is automatically segregated, VRF also increases network security and can eliminate the need for encryption and authentication. Internet service providers (ISPs) often take advantage of VRF to create separate virtual private networks (VPNs) for customers; thus the technology is also referred to as VPN routing and forwarding.

VRF acts like a logical router, but while a logical router may include many routing tables, a VRF instance uses only a single routing table. In addition, VRF requires a forwarding table that designates the next hop for each data packet, a list of devices that may be called upon to forward the packet, and a set of rules and routing protocols that govern how the packet is forwarded. These tables prevent traffic from being forwarded outside a specific VRF path and also keep out traffic that should remain outside the VRF path.

============================================================

Reply to
Merv

seems faint praise but I am ever the sceptic:))) I had recently been wondering that myself.

Thanks.

Reply to
anybody43

Dear Merv,

Thanks for the definition.. In case of any queries i will get back to you people. any thing that i can find in Cisco on the same??

Thanks. Ranganath

Reply to
Ranga

Also is it possible for any one to give me where I can find basic configuration details, I mean any thing like Case study will details.

Reply to
Ranga

Google for VRF L3VPN MPLS - you should find quite a bit of reading.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.